This is the BEST EVER CHILI DOG Recipe, topped with the best ever chili. It simply doesn’t get more heart warming than this!
Sometimes I have to laugh at this job I have. Don’t get me wrong, I’m SUPER grateful that this passion of mine has turned into a career. I seriously wake up every day excited to figure out what’s next. But some days I have to laugh that I’m literally taking pictures of Chili Dogs and posting them on the internet, trying to make them look pretty. Chili dogs aren’t the prettiest thing you know. But…this is the job.
No matter what I did to make these look beautiful, they still look like…Chili Dogs. But trust me, these are the BEST EVER CHILI DOGS. There’s really nothing too high tech about them, they’re just delicious. The ultimate comfort food. Perfect for a quick dinner, gameday tailgating, and easy to make for a crowd. Pretty? No. Amazingly crave worthy? YES.
So what makes these the Best Ever Chili Dogs? THE CHILI! My mom’s famous Chili recipe is the ULTIMATE topper for hotdogs. Oh and add a TON of cheese. The more cheese the better!
So yeah, let’s all laugh that I actually did a photo set up and put my camera on a tripod and attempted to make Chili Dogs beautiful. Trust me that their sloppy appearance only makes them taste better. These are the type of Best Ever Chili Dogs that require a fork.
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or spray)
- 8 bun length hot dogs
- 2 cups of chili (Click HERE for my favorite EASY Chili Recipe!)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Mexican Blend Cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro (optional)
- ketchup and mustard to taste
- Preheat oven to 375
- Place olive oil in a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Place hot dog buns, inside side down, on skillet just long enough to toast the buns.
- Place hot dog buns on a baking sheet with high sides or casserole dish. Sprinkle onions, cilantro, and desired amount of ketchup and mustard into each bun. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Place a hot dog into each bun.
- Top the hot dogs and buns generously with chili and then top with the remaining 2 cups cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- To make them even toastier, you can remove foil and broil for another 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn the buns.
- Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR OTHER FAVORITE CHEESY RECIPES!