Easy Restaurant Style WHITE QUESO is our FAVORITE DIP RECIPE EVER. Tastes just like queso dip at Mexican restaurants!
I feel like I’ve been searching for the perfect Restaurant Style White Queso recipe my entire life. Why is it so hard to find?? All I want is ooey gooey amazing cheese and I want it in molten liquid form. For every meal. But for some reason, I’ve only been able to find that perfection at Mexican restaurants. Their secret recipes have alluded me for years. Well now we can all enjoy it at home. It’s SUPER EASY and amazingly addiction…so you’ve been warned.
I came about this recipe while doing some work for food.com. I knew immediately I was excited to make it, and make it my own. I made a could tweaks…and then took a bath in all that cheese. JUST KIDDING…I ate it all. Sorry, it’s just SO good.
Pat was beaming with pride, Dill and Scout were super jealous, and I was just fat and happy. I had finally found my white whale. I’d finally found my SUPER EASY Restaurant Style White Queso. This is time for a mic drop.
I love everything I post on here, but this one I REALLY want to shout from the blog-tops. It’s the perfect consistency, the perfect flavor, and perfectly simple. My kind of recipe. Enjoy!
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 3/4 lb good quality white american cheese (pay extra for the good stuff, I got mine from the deli counter), shredded or finely chopped
- 1/2 lb good quality fontina cheese, shredded or very finely chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons canned jalapenos, finely chopped (You can also use Green Chiles. I love Old El Paso SO MUCH for both types!)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional. some readers haven't liked this spice although we did. see note in instructions) ***
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional. some readers haven't liked this spice although some did) ***
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- chopped cilantro, tomatoes, and jalapenos for garnish
- ***You can also make this in a CROCKPOT! See below for details***
- Heat 1/2 and 1/2 over medium/high heat in a small sized non-stick (or prepared cast iron skillet) skillet. (you can also use a sauce pan if you don't have a small skillet)
- Once simmering (bring to JUST before boil...when it starts bubbling up it's ready), reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese. Stir it in in batches, making it smooth and melted each time. You may need to turn on a bit of heat to get the cheese melted. I didn't have to but it just depends on the temperature.
- Stir constantly until fully melted.
- Stir in the jalapenos, cumin, nutmeg, red pepper, and salt and pepper. *** (see below)
- Place skillet in the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble and brown (optional)
- Top with cilantro, tomatoes, and more jalapenos if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
- (Dip can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Microwave with a splash of half and half or milk to keep it creamy)
- ***For making this in a slow cooker, start on high, adding the cheese and 1/2 and 1/2. Once melted, turn the setting to low and add in the spices and remaining ingredients. Stir often. Enjoy!***