HOMEMADE SALTED CARAMEL EGGNOG! I never knew making eggnog was SO EASY! Made on the stove in under 15 minutes.
Holiday drinks are the best drinks. Period. Eggnog is the best holiday drink. Period. SALTED CARAMEL EGGNOG IS THE BEST EGGNOG. Period. So does that make this Salted Caramel Eggnog the best drink ever?? Well yes. I think it does. So call me crazy, but I had NO CLUE that making eggnog on the stove was maybe the most super simple thing ever. I assumed eggnog had to be made over hours and hours and could only be bought in stores (I KNOW). Well…good news everyone, it’s EASY. Super fast (like, under 15 minutes), and oh so delicious and comforting. Thanksgiving and Christmas in a glass.
I love the added flair the salted caramel brings to this classic drink. Dangerous actually. It’s just too good!
Make it with or without alcohol for the perfect holiday drink. Cheers!
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel syrup, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sea salt, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup good quality dark rum (optional)
- 2 egg whites for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Be careful when bringing to a boil that the milk doesn't boil over the pan. As soon as you see it bubbling, remove from heat. Allow to sit for at least 5-10 minutes to steep. (you want to make sure the milk mixture isn't hot enough to cook the eggs once added. So allow to sit for a little bit off the heat before the next step) :)
- In a large stand mixer, beat eggs and sugar on medium high/high until fully combined.
- Pour egg mixture into the milk and whisk quickly until fully combined.
- Add caramel, sea salt, and rum (if using). Continue whisking to fully combine.
- When you're ready to serve, beat the egg whites on high until foamy peaks form. (this is optional).
- Pour the eggnog into the glass leaving a bit of room at the top. Top with fluffy egg whites (optional)
- Garnish with nutmeg and caramel sauce.
- ***As always, consuming raw eggs is at your own risk and totally up to each individual person.