When mom was in town we made some delicious shoestring potato fries. YUM. The perfect side dish for the casual nights.
Crispy, salty, peppery, awesome. Best of all, simple. You know I love simple!!
Mom wrote out really detailed instructions below, including what NOT to do. We learned the hard way that if you add too many potatoes at a time, the pot will boil over and hot grease will go….everywhere. I just wish we had a video. Screaming, jumping, dad and Pat just STANDING THERE. Ha. It was quite the moment. But we recovered and that’s what learning to cook is all about. After the disaster came these delicious and perfect Shoestring Potatoes. Worth the disaster.
They were so so good!! The perfect side dish with our Goober Burger Sliders!
What’s more exciting than perfect shoestring potatoes?? A GIVEAWAY!!!!!
See the rafflecopter below (at the bottom of the post) for your chance to win a $50 giftcard to Amazon!! There are lots of easy ways to enter, so be sure to enter each and every way you can!! Good luck all, so so glad you stopped by.
- Canola oil, for deep-frying
- 2 lb Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Peel or wash the potatoes – remove any dark spots and potato eyes and set the potatoes aside.
- Heat 2-3 inches oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed, deep pot. Bring to 365 degrees. (It is important to use a deep-fry thermometer.)
- Fill a large non-reactive bowl with water.
- Using a mandoline fitted with the fine julienne blade, cut the potatoes then place them in the water. Swish the potatoes around the water so any excess starch will be removed.
- Take the potatoes out of the water and place on paper towels to dry.
- Pat the potatoes dry with more paper towels. If you have a salad spinner, spin the potatoes. The potatoes should be as dry as possible before placing in the hot oil. The potatoes will really splatter if any water is left.
- Now…this is very important! Place the potatoes in the oil very carefully and fry only a small amount of potatoes at a time. (If too many potatoes are added at one time, the oil will bubble over the top of the pot – trust me!)
- Fry the potatoes until they are brown and crispy…stir often – approximately 4 minutes.
- Scoop the potatoes from the hot oil with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate or pan covered with paper towels.
- Salt and pepper the shoestring potatoes.
- Check the thermometer often – make sure the oil stays around 360-365 degrees.
- Repeat the process until all potatoes are fried.
Click the link below to enter the giveaway! Giveaway ends at Midnight 3/7. (I’m not sure why the Rafflecopter isn’t loading on this page, but if you click the link it will take you to the screen where you can enter. good luck!)