Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is my absolute FAVORITE SOUP recipe for Winter! Spicy, easy, and delicious, this is a healthy soup recipe to love.
It’s still January. New Years Resolutions are alive and well and still terrorizing my thoughts. But not every healthy recipe has to be blah. Some healthy recipes can be full of flavor, completely comforting, and SUPER EASY. This Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my absolute favorite recipes I have EVER made. I know that’s saying a lot, since there are over 600 recipes on this site. But it’s just SO good.
This healthier chicken tortilla soup keeps me on track with my ambitions of eating better, without sacrificing on taste. Win win!
I adapted this slow cooker recipe from one of my FAVORITE soup recipes from growing up, my mom’s Chicken Tortilla Soup. You can find her original recipe HERE, on Simply Sated. This soup just feels like home. I dare say it’s so flavorful, it doesn’t even need cheese. CAN YOU BELIEVE I JUST SAID THAT?!
If you’ve been following along, you know that I’ve honored to be an ambassador for Old El Paso this year. It has been so fun to get creative with their amazing products. I took it old school this month with this Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. I used their Green Chiles to make it a tad spicy, their Taco Seasoning to give it some extra (easy) flair, and garnished with Crispy Fried Tortilla Strips for some needed crunch. SO much Old El Paso to love in this one little recipe!
This soup is perfect for these chilly days, and you won’t believe just how simple it is. Throw the ingredients in a slow cooker, stir to combine, and let the slow cooker do all the work. Spoon and serve. Perfection.
Enjoy this skinny slow cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe!
5 minPrep Time
3 hrCook Time
3 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (or regular if you prefer less spicy)
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can Old El Paso green chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken (or rotisserie chicken)
- 1 (1 ounce) packed Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- 1 (11 ounce) can steamed corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 8" Old El Paso Burrito Tortillas
- 1 tablespoon Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- cilantro, Old El Paso sliced Jalapenos, low fat sour cream, low fat shredded cheese
- Heat oil over medium/high heat in a medium skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. I like mine to be a bit under-sauteed, to keep a bit of their crunch.
- Once sauteed, add the onion and garlic to a slow cooker over high heat. Add in all other ingredients except for tortillas and garnishes. Stir to combine.
- Heat on high, covered, for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours.
- Before serving, prepare the tortilla crisps:
- In a small saucepan, heat the canola oil over medium/high heat.
- Spray each tortilla with olive oil and sprinkle with the taco seasoning. Use a pastry brush to spread out the taco seasoning evenly.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut each tortilla into 1/2 inch strips.
- Cook the strips in batches, about 2-4 minutes or until browned. Some of the taco seasoning will come off into the oil, and that's okay.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the strips and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- When ready to serve the soup, serve garnished with extra cilantro, low fat sour cream, jalapenos, and tortilla strips. Or any of your favorite toppings!
This post has been sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are 100% mine. Thank you SO much for supporting the brands that help support The Cookie Rookie!
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR OTHER FAVORITE (SKINNY) SOUPS!