Chicken Tacos are the PERFECT quick weeknight dinner. OVEN BAKED chicken tacos have lots of flavor and none of the stress. The ultimate recipe for serving a crowd. This is the most popular recipe on The Cookie Rookie, being pinned over 2 million times and viewed over 6 million times. Make these for dinner tonight!
The Best Chicken Tacos You’ll Ever Have
This the most popular recipe on The Cookie Rookie! I’ve published a lot of posts on this site (over 1000 to be exact), but this Spicy Oven Baked Chicken Tacos recipe is the #1 recipe by a landslide. There’s something about an easy baked taco recipe that people just go crazy for!
This Chicken Tacos Recipe is the ultimate easy recipe. Chicken Tacos great for serving a crowd, taking to a potluck, chowing down on for a tailgating party, and of course, Cinco de Mayo!
These are one of the easiest, one of the tastiest, and one that is made most often at our house. Do you see all that melty cheese? What’s not to love! If you’re not making these Chicken Tacos for Taco Tuesday, what are you doing with your life?? Your family will thank you!
If you’re looking for a Baked Chicken Tacos Recipe…you’re in the right place. This is the BEST taco recipe to make for easy dinners!
How to Make Baked Chicken Tacos – Step by Step
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium skillet.
- Add onion to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes (FULLY DRAINED), and green chiles (FULLY DRAINED) *see note. Stir to combine fully. Reduce to simmer and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Place the taco shells in the baking dish, standing up. I was able to fit 10 taco shells in the dish by adding 2 on each side.
- Bake the taco shells for 5 minutes by themselves to allow them to crisp up. Remove from the oven.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of beans into the bottom of each taco shell. Top with the chicken mixture, almost to the top of each shell.
- Sprinkle each shell generously with shredded cheese, the more the better!
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and the edges of the shells are browned.
- Remove from the oven and top with your favorite items such as jalapenos, sour cream, cilantro, and salsa.
Be sure to watch the video to help guide you through the recipe. I promise it’s easy! Chicken Tacos for the WIN!
I make these baked tacos so often at our house, and they’re one of the recipes Pat asks for the most. When he comes home and sees these babies are ready to go, he’s a happy camper. You can make them with so many different flavor combos. Be creative and enjoy!
Don’t forget to top these with a LOT of cheese! That’s the only way to make them. We aren’t playing around when it comes to melted cheese!
So many people have written in about how much they love this chicken tacos recipe, and there’s nothing I love hearing more. If you’ve made this baked tacos recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram and let me know! I’d be honored!
When to Serve alongside chicken tacos
I’m pretty sure these are the perfect easy appetizer or meal for New Years Eve, the Super Bowl, Cinco de Mayo, Summer BBQs, Taco Night and more. Why slave away in the kitchen when you can have these Chicken Tacos (for a crowd!) ready in around 30 minutes?
Baked Chicken Tacos just so happen to be our very favorite easy weeknight dinner recipe. The family NEVER gets tired of these tacos!
Taco Night is the perfect time to make these spicy chicken tacos. Check out the full Taco Tuesday Guide for more tips, ideas, and recipes!
Margaritas and Tacos
There’s nothing better to pair with this easy chicken tacos than an amazing Margarita! We have compiled all our favorite Margarita Recipes in the ULTIMATE MARGARITA GUIDE. From classic to unique to flavored to frozen, we have you covered! Be sure to check it out today.
Tips for Crispy Taco Shells
When making baked tacos, one of the issues people seem to run into is soggy taco shells. Something nobody wants! I take good tacos seriously, so I’ve worked to troubleshoot this problem so you can have the crispiest shells when you make these tacos!
- I always bake the shells for 5 minutes on their own before stuffing them with all the delicious toppings and cooking all the way. This way they have the chance to really crisp up on their own before you get started.
- I also make sure refried beans are the bottom layer, creating a bit of a barrier between the chicken mixture and the shell. The shells are bound to be less crispy on the bottom than they are at the top, and that’s just part of what happens when you bake them, but they SHOULD NOT break or be soggy.
- The other truly important step is FULLY DRAINING the tomatoes and green chiles before adding into the chicken mixture. I recommend first draining, then letting sit over a bowl in a strainer for about 5 minutes to make sure they drain all the way.
These tips will all help to keep the shells crispy, so important!
Side Dishes for Mexican Night
Almost every time we make these baked spicy chicken tacos, we serve them with my Easy Cheesy Tex Mex Rice and simple black beans with cotija cheese. If we really want to indulge, we will make some White Queso and Tequila Lime Chicken Nachos! That’s for parties like the Super Bowl where calories have been shown to actually not count.
Here are some other great pairings:
- Homemade Salsa
- Best Guacamole Recipe
- Grilled Corn
- Skinny Mexican Street Corn
- Healthy Queso
- Bean and Cheese Taquitos
- Layered Bean Dip
- Foil Packet Nachos
Oh okay, so you’re my people! My fave pairings are either a Classic Skinny Margarita or our Sparkling Strawberry Margarita Punch. You can also go with a great Mexican beer and be in business. Every great chicken taco recipe needs a great drink, especially if you’re entertaining a crowd, but that doesn’t mean you have to make something fancy. Have fun with the cocktail pairings and you’ll be a star in no time!
Want more fun cocktails to chase down these Chicken Tacos? We’ve got you covered!
- Best Margaritas
- Peach Frozen Margaritas
- Grapefruit Salty Dogs
- Pink Summer Shandy
- Tequila Sunrise
- White Wine Margaritas
This recipe for Baked Chicken Tacos is the MOST popular recipe on The Cookie Rookie and I hope you love it as much as we do! Remember to let me know if you make it. If you make it on Instagram, tag #thecookierookie for your chance to be featured in my IG stories! I love to see what readers are making!
FREE CHICKEN E-BOOK
The Cookie Rookie is practically famous for amazing Chicken Recipes, mostly due to these Chicken Tacos. We have so many other chicken favorites that I hope you check out, and even have a FREE EBOOK for subscribers (click to find out more). I’m here for all your easy chicken recipes needs!
Other Chicken Breast Recipes we love:
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Creamy Caesar Chicken
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Basil Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Chicken in Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken Recipe
Other Mexican Recipes you MUST MAKE to eat with these tacos:
- Velveeta Cheese Dip Queso (Cowboy Queso)
- Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
- Mexican Corn on the Cob
- Queso Smothered Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup