Peppermint Eggnog Ice Cream spiked with bourbon and candy cane syrup! This recipe is CHRISTMAS in a cup!
I’m the kind of girl who eats ice cream year round. I don’t know why people don’t!? Our houses aren’t cold on the inside…can’t we enjoy some ice cream no matter what the temp is outside? I do think it’s fun to play around with festive flavors during the winter, and nothing says Christmas my EGGNOG! Oh and PEPPERMINT! Let’s combine the two, shall we?
And if we are going to mix eggnog and peppermint…we ought to also make it spiked…right? It’s the holidays after all!
The other great thing about this Spiked Peppermint Eggnog ice cream is just how easy it is. You can make your own eggnog from the recipe below…OR you can just use a store-bought quart that’s premade. Sometimes you’re in need of a quick ice cream fix and there is NOTHING wrong with that!
I topped this delicious Peppermint Eggnog Ice Cream with a Candy Cane Syrup. A Candy Cane Simple Syrup to be exact! Pretty much this is Christmas in a cup!
Enjoy your Spiked Peppermint Eggnog Ice Cream with Candy Cane Syrup!
20 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- ***You can also just use 1 quart store-bought eggnog in place of above ingredients***
- 2 ounces good quality bourbon or spiced rum (optional)
- 1 cup peppermint crunch baking chips (or crushed candy canes)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup crushed candy canes
- ***If using store-bought eggnog, skip to step 7***
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Be careful when bringing to a boil that the milk doesn't boil over the pan. As soon as you see it bubbling, remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for at least 5-10 minutes to steep. (you want to make sure the milk mixture isn't hot enough to cook the eggs once added. So allow to sit for a little bit off the heat before the next step) :)
- In a large stand mixer, beat eggs and sugar on medium high/high until fully combined.
- Pour egg mixture into the milk and whisk quickly until fully combined.
- Add the bourbon or spiced rum to the eggnog and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until cold (if mixture is already cold you can skip this step)
- Add the eggnog to your ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturers instructions. When the ice cream is almost complete, add in the peppermint crunch baking chips.
- When the ice cream is almost done, you can make your syrup. Bring the sugar, water, and crushed candy canes to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook down for 10 minutes. Pour over the completed ice cream for a special treat!
Want more boozy holiday desserts? Try these!