Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Cheesy Potato Soup is filled with hearty vegetables, potatoes, and lots of cheese! This cheesy potato chowder is a great soup to chow down on during cold winter nights. It's warm, it's easy to make, and it's so delicious. This cheesy potato soup recipe is perfect!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup diced green peppers
- ½ cup diced sweet bell peppers
- ½ cup diced fennel
- 1 medium diced jalapeno peppers optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups diced peeled Yukon Gold potatoes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup 4 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar
- ½ cup 2 ounces shredded Gruyére or Swiss cheese
In a large Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over MEDIUM heat.
Add carrots, onion, green peppers, bell peppers, fennel and jalapeno peppers, and cook the vegetables, 5-7 minutes, or until tender and fragrant.
Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir. Cook another 30 seconds, while stirring.
Add the chicken broth and potatoes; stir well.
Bring the soup to a boil, and reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW.
Simmer the soup, uncovered, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Reduce heat to LOW; add salt, ground pepper, nutmeg and milk. Stirring often, cook an additional 5 minutes.
Add shredded cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
Serve with toasty slices of French or Italian bread.
Calories: 301kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 944mg | Potassium: 417mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 88.2% | Vitamin C: 37.4% | Calcium: 27.2% | Iron: 6.4%