Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP is the ultimate comfort food! This easy chicken noodle soup recipe is made right in your kitchen, and it tastes like home. Learning how to make chicken noodle soup is simple!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter – unsalted
- 3-4 carrots approx. 2 cups – peeled & sliced
- 2 celery stalks approx. 1 cup – sliced
- 1 sweet yellow onion – diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 8 cups Chicken Broth or Stock – Swanson Unsalted or homemade
- 1/2 cup Dry Sherry
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh – chopped
- 1 teaspoon Parisien or Bonnes Herbs (a combo of chives dill, basil, French tarragon, chervil
- & white pepper)
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3-4 teaspoons chicken granules or chicken **Note if using salted broth, reduce the amount of chicken granules used.
- 4 cups diced chicken – rotisserie chicken cut into bite-size pieces or 2-4 chicken breasts, (cooked & cut into bite-size pieces)
- 8 ounce package egg noodles - I use Neva’s Old Fashion Homemade Egg Noodles but Reames Egg Noodles (frozen) are also excellent.**
Heat oil & butter in a heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven.
Once the oil/butter is hot, place carrots & celery in the skillet and sauté 3 minutes.
Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
Add all other ingredients except the noodles.
Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
**See notes if planning to freeze the soup.
Add the noodles and bring to a boil.
Turn down the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Remove bay leaves before serving.
Delicious served with crusty bread.
Note: If using rotisserie chicken or salted chicken stock, do NOT salt until after the soup cooks for 15 minutes. Taste first - then add salt only if needed.
Note: If freezing the soup, make the soup up to the point of adding the noodles. Freeze the soup without noodles added, then when ready to serve, add the noodles and simmer until noodles are cooked. This keeps the noodles from turning mushy.
Calories: 484kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 1289mg | Potassium: 713mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5375IU | Vitamin C: 25.8mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2.7mg