Zesty Bread Salad with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
Servings: 4 servings
This zesty bread salad is perfect for spring! Topped off with a delicious Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette. YUM! Adapted from Ottolenghi Online
- 1 loaf Sourdough Bread or other rustic bread, cubed
- 1 cucumber cut into centimeter thick slices
- 1 extra large ripe tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper cut into thick strips
- grated zest and juice from 1 1/2 Meyer Lemons if using a regular lemon, 1/2 the amount
- splash of orange juice
- 1 1/2 garlic clove crushed (or 1 tbs of prepared crushed garlic)
- 3 Tbsp. Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar
- 6 Tbsp. Pompeian Extra Light Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Herb & Garlic Seasoning optional
- Sea Salt
- Extra olive oil or olive oil spray for bread
Preheat oven to 325F
Place cubed bread on baking sheet and brush or spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with Herb and Garlic Seasoning and Sea Salt
Bake bread for 12-15 minutes, or until browned (but not to full crouton level) :)
While bread is cooking, cut and prep your veggies. Place in a bowl, mix, and set aside
In a food processor, mix together vinegar, lemon juice and zest, orange juice, and 1 tsp. black pepper
With food processor on low, mix in olive oil one tbsp at a time until well incorporated
Transfer dressing to airtight container.
Mix bread in with veggies and pour dressing over all, mixing with your hands.
Top Tips for Making Panzanella Salad
- Panzanella is a great way to use up stale bread so don't throw it out!
- If you don't have sourdough any crusty bread will do.
- You can switch it up by sprinkling different herbs and spices on the bread croutons (parmesan cheese works well too).
- If you can't find Meyer lemons then use regular lemons but cut the amount by half.
- You can make this salad in advance and store it in the fridge for 1-2 days (the flavors get a chance to meld and develop).
- This is a great salad to make for picnics or barbecues because it gets better as it sits.
Calories: 551kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 596mg | Potassium: 330mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 115IU | Vitamin C: 58.6mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 4.6mg