White Beans Recipe with Tomato and Garlic
This White Beans recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! Cannellini beans cooked with tomatoes, garlic, and chicken broth make for one tasty side dish. It's perfect for holidays or easy weeknight meals!
- 1/3 cup olive oil & more for serving
- ¼ cup chopped fresh sage leaves
- 4 garlic cloves sliced thin
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 16 ounce – 32 ounces total cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- Garnish: crispy bacon optional
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
Add the sage and sliced garlic. Shake the pan so the garlic doesn’t stick, but don’t stir it because the garlic might clump.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook 3-4 minutes or until the garlic turns very light gold and the sage darkens a bit.
Add the tomatoes and salt. Simmer, stirring often, until the tomatoes are shiny and their juices have evaporated; 8-10 minutes.
Add the pepper, sugar and chicken broth, stirring often, and bring the broth to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, add the beans, simmer (stirring often) until the liquid has evaporated, 18-20 minutes.
Remove the beans/tomatoes from the heat and stir in the parsley. Season, if needed, with more salt & pepper.
Serve with extra olive oil for drizzling and a sprinkle of crispy bacon (optional).
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 447mg | Potassium: 732mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 115IU | Vitamin C: 9.7mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 4.5mg