Buckeye Candy Recipe
Servings: 60 candies
Buckeye candy is such an easy recipe, made with a handful of pantry staple ingredients. These no bake sweets are made with peanut butter and chocolate and are great for the holiday season and for gift giving.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ cups creamy peanut butter Jif works well
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 12 ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli works well
- 1 tablespoon shortening or vegetable oil
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream powdered sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt. Beat until creamy and incorporated.
Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
When dough is completely chilled, microwave the chocolate chips and shortening (or oil), stirring every 15 seconds, on HIGH until most of the chips are melted. Remove from the microwave and stir until smooth and all chips are melted.
Insert a toothpick in the top, middle of a peanut butter ball and dip 2/3rds of it in the melted chocolate. Let the excess chocolate drip into the bowl, and place the buckeye on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with all peanut butter balls.
(Note: If the chocolate begins to thicken, microwave for a few seconds until desired consistency.)
Refrigerate the Buckeyes in a covered container until firm before serving. Buckeyes will keep up to two weeks.
Note: If desired, use a finger or the back of a small spoon to smooth the small dot on the top of the Buckeyes from the toothpick.
- Allow enough time for the peanut butter balls to chill and firm, it will take about 1 hour.
- If you don't have a microwave, you can melt the chocolate on the stovetop in a bain-marie.
- Place the chocolate covered buckeyes on a parchment paper lined tin for easy removal.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 67mg | Potassium: 42mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg