Crockpot Chili Recipe
Servings: 12 people
Come home to a warm, rich, comforting and delicious chili! This crockpot chili recipe is packed with all the good stuff. ground chuck, homemade chili seasoning and red bean. Topped with crunchy crackers, so good!
For the Chili:
- 4 cups or more cold water
- 4 pounds ground chuck 80%-85% lean or a fresh-ground burger blend
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet yellow or yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons Chili Seasoning homemade (click for recipe) or 1 ounce packet store-bought
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Heinz Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard like Heinz or French’s
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 24 ounce jar Tomato Passata (Cento or DeLallo) or Puree (if Passata or puree isn’t available, use 16-24 ounces tomato sauce. (Contadina)
- 1 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 15 ounce cans red beans, drained & rinsed
- Hot sauce
- Shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese.
- Sour cream
- Diced Onions
- Sliced black olives
- Chopped Avocados
For the Chili:
Spray the inside of the crock (from the slow-cooker) with nonstick cooking spray. Set the slow-cooker to HIGH and add 4 cups water.
Brown the beef in a large skillet set over medium heat. Drain the fat and add the beef to the slow-cooker.
Return the skillet to medium heat and add the oil and diced onions. Cook the onions until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes, and add the garlic. Cook an additional 30 seconds.
Add the onion/garlic mixture to the slow-cooker and stir.
Add all other chili ingredients and stir well. Season to taste with salt, pepper and chili seasoning (if desired). Stir.
Replace the lid, and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
The chili is ready at this point, but if it is thicker than what you love, add another cup or 2 of water and stir. Cook another 30 minutes for the flavors to meld.
If the chili is too thin, remove the lid and cook 30-60 minutes or until it has reduced to the thickness you desire.
Serve with your favorite condiments and toppings and crackers.
- Make sure to spray the inside of the low cooker with non stick cooking spray.
- Serve with crushed corn chips (like Fritos), crushed tortilla chips, saltine crackers, or oyster crackers.
- This crockpot chili goes well with cornbread, baked potatoes or thick french fries, grilled cheese, or buttermilk biscuits.
- To freeze as a freezer meal, mix all ingredients and place in (a few) freezer safe zip-lock bags. Freeze. When ready to cook, thaw in the fridge overnight and then cook on low in the crockpot.
Calories: 646kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 593mg | Potassium: 1447mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3548IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 9mg