Mexican Rice Recipe
Servings: 6 people
This Easy Mexican Rice recipe turns plain old white rice from your pantry, into a delicious side dish packed with Mexican flavors and cheese!
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles with juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup Mexican Blend cheese
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced; optional
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- Juice of ½ lime
Cook rice according to package directions.
Add oil, butter and onions to a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until onions have softened and are translucent. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add can of tomatoes with juice, cumin, paprika and chili powder. Stir and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
When the rice is cooked, add the onion mixture, cheese, chipotle pepper (if using), cilantro and lime juice. Stir well and serve.
Garnish with additional chopped cilantro.
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 385mg | Potassium: 276mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 524IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 1mg