Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Servings: 3 cups
Ditch the store bought chocolate frosting and whip up a batch of this easy and delicious Chocolate Buttercream Icing! Perfect for a fluffy crowning on cakes and cupcakes.
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place your butter out to soften at room temperature ahead of time
In a large bowl, use your hand mixer to cream butter until smooth, about one minute
Add vanilla extract, mix to incorporate
Sift in confectioner’s sugar and cocoa powder then mix until well combined
Slowly add milk a tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency.
Mix on low for about a minute to achieve a light and airy icing
Use a piping bag and tip (Ateco # 828 - Open Star Pastry Tip .63'') or other icing tool to decorate your cooled cakes.
- It takes butter 30-60 minutes to soften at room temperature.
- I'd avoid using the microwave to melt the butter. Even if you have a turntable, butter softens unevenly.
- Leave out the cocoa powder for a perfect classic vanilla buttercream icing.
- Confectioner’s sugar is another term for powdered sugar.
Calories: 1230kcal | Carbohydrates: 173g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 65g | Saturated Fat: 41g | Cholesterol: 165mg | Sodium: 25mg | Potassium: 373mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 158g | Vitamin A: 1924IU | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 3mg