Shrimp Tacos Recipe with Pineapple Slaw
Servings: 6 people
Add some zing to your shrimp tacos with some delicious pineapple slaw. These seafood tacos are easy to make and ready to serve in just 20 minutes. Perfect for your next taco Tuesday!
Pineapple Cabbage Coleslaw:
- 3 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1 cup fresh or canned pineapple chopped
- ½ cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 12 4-inch or street sized flour or corn tortillas
- sour cream Mexican crema, salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole, fresh lime, fresh cilantro
Place the cabbage, pineapple, and onion into a bowl and toss in oil, honey, and lime juice. Stir until combined. Place in refrigerator until ready to assemble tacos.
Heat the tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium.
As the oil heats, generously season the shrimp with salt, black pepper, cumin, and coriander.
Add shrimp to skillet and cook on one side of 1-2 minutes, before turning shrimp and cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes or until shrimp is pink and opaque.
Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave for 1 minute or until warm. You can also wrap them in foil and place them into a hot oven until pliable.
Divide the cabbage and pineapple among the tortillas followed by the shrimp filling.
Serve with desired optional toppings.
- Take care not to overcook the shrimp, they only need to be cooked a couple of minutes on each side. Over cooked shrimp will have a rubbery texture.
- It's best to shred the cabbage by hand with a knife. If you use a blender the cabbage can end up chopped too finely and release a lot of water.
- Warm the tacos before filling them. This makes them soft and pliable and they won't spilt when you eat them.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 191mg | Sodium: 800mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 151mg | Iron: 2mg