Best Cottage Cheese with Herbs (Amish Inspired)
Servings: 8 people
This delicious herbed cottage cheese recipe is so easy to make and perfect to serve as a dip. Inspired by the Amana colonies, it is wonderfully seasoned and fresh and light tasting.
- 24 ounces whole milk large curd cottage cheese 1 tub
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons freeze-dried chives
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pour the cottage cheese into a wire sieve that has been placed over a larger bowl and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to strain the cottage of excess whey (cottage cheese liquid). Discard the whey that has dripped into the bowl.
Mix all ingredients, including the strained cottage cheese, in a medium bowl.
Place the prepared cottage cheese in an airtight container and refrigerate at least 4-24 hours before serving.
The cottage cheese will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Drain the cheese for at least one hour to get rid of the excess whey. If you skip this step, the dip can be overly watery.
- Use whole milk cottage cheese rather than skim or low fat for the richest flavors.
Calories: 86kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 604mg | Potassium: 94mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1mg