Bacon Corn Chowder Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
This BACON CORN CHOWDER recipe is a must make for winter! This delicious and easy corn chowder with bacon is loaded with potatoes, corn, bacon, and so much more. This warm and creamy soup is the ultimate comfort food!
- 6 slices bacon crisped & crumbled; divided in half
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable or chicken broth/stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chives
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes peeled & diced
- 1 cup Half ‘n half
- 6 cups corn kernels (approx. 8 ears of fresh corn) or a 28.8 oz. bag of frozen corn
- Garnish with crumbled bacon chopped fresh parsley and a couple of dashes of Smoked Paprika or nutmeg
Cut bacon into lardoons (1/8” slices) and cook until almost crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, and discard all except 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet.
Cook diced onion in the bacon grease until onion is translucent.
Add minced garlic and cook 30 seconds.
Dust cooked onions with flour and stir to mix well.
Pour in the vegetable broth, bay leaves, thyme, parsley, chives, nutmeg, black pepper, salt, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes and diced potatoes. Stir well. Bring liquid to a boil and boil for 10 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to fall apart. With a potato masher, mash the mixture until approximately half the potatoes are mashed.
Add Half ‘n half and corn kernels. Mix thoroughly.
Taste the chowder and season with more salt, if needed.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes over low heat to thicken. Be careful the milk in the chowder doesn’t scald.
To serve, place soup in bowls, top with crumbled bacon, fresh chopped parsley and a couple of dashes of nutmeg or smoked paprika.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 1489mg | Potassium: 589mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 15.7% | Vitamin C: 15.1% | Calcium: 7.2% | Iron: 17.6%