BACON CORN CHOWDER is a must make for Winter! This delicious sweet chowder loaded with potatoes, corn, bacon, and so much flavor is the ultimate comfort food.
I’ve published a lot of delicious soups over the years on The Cookie Rookie, some of them just the past couple weeks! Can you tell I’m excited about SOUP SEASON!? Of all the soups I’ve shared, I of course have my favorites; Creamy Chicken Soup, Skinny Chicken Tortilla Soup, and Thai Coconut Chicken Soup just to name a few. This Bacon Corn Chowder is right up there with the best of the best. It has such a delicious flavor with just the right touch of sweetness, saltiness from the bacon, and all the comfort you’d expect from a Winter soup. It’s the first corn soup I’ve published, and it makes me want to try other types. Break out some crusty bread and get excited for a delicious new favorite!
I love this Bacon Corn Chowder as an appetizer soup or as an entire meal. It could be the perfect starter if you’re having a light chicken or seafood meal, just the right amount of added flavor. Hosting a classy dinner party at your house? This soup is the ticket! All that bacon on top…who could resist it!!! I don’t want to meet the person that could resist it.
These are the kinds of simple flavors I just CRAVE in the Winter. A hearty soup that warms the soul…with bacon…there is nothing better that could come out of a kitchen.
What are your favorite soups to make on a cold night? I’d love to hear about them! If you make this Bacon Corn Chowder, let me know. MUAH!
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 6 slices bacon, crisped & crumbled; divided in half
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable or chicken broth/stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chives
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 cup Half ‘n half
- 6 cups corn kernels, (approx. 8 ears of fresh corn) or a 28.8 oz. bag of frozen corn
- Garnish with crumbled bacon, chopped fresh parsley and a couple of dashes of Smoked Paprika or nutmeg
- Cut bacon into lardoons (1/8” slices) and cook until almost crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, and discard all except 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet.
- Cook diced onion in the bacon grease until onion is translucent.
- Add minced garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Dust cooked onions with flour and stir to mix well.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, bay leaves, thyme, parsley, chives, nutmeg, black pepper, salt, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes and diced potatoes. Stir well. Bring liquid to a boil and boil for 10 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to fall apart. With a potato masher, mash the mixture until approximately half the potatoes are mashed.
- Add Half ‘n half and corn kernels. Mix thoroughly.
- Taste the chowder and season with more salt, if needed.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes over low heat to thicken. Be careful the milk in the chowder doesn’t scald.
- To serve, place soup in bowls, top with crumbled bacon, fresh chopped parsley and a couple of dashes of nutmeg or smoked paprika.