Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Servings: 6 people
Delicious, rich and so comforting, this Italian chicken cacciatore recipe is full of bold and vibrant flavors. Simple to make all in one skillet, this bone-in chicken recipe is all kinds of tasty!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 bone in chicken thighs or leg pieces
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow pepper cut into long thin slices
- 1 red pepper cut into long thin slices
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup seedless Kalamata olives
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- Parmesan cheese grated, for garnish
- Pasta or rice for serving
- Parsley for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Season the thighs with the flour, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Brown both sides of the chicken. Remove the chicken and set aside.
2 Tablespoons olive oil, 6 bone in chicken thighs or leg pieces, ¼ cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
Place the onion, garlic, yellow and red peppers to the pan and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
1 medium onion, 1 cloves garlic
Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, oregano, basil, vinegar and the sugar. Stir to combine.
Add the wine and stir well.
Add the olives and the chicken and allow to simmer for about 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and falling off the bone. Internal temperature of the chicken should be no less than 165°.
Garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Serve over pasta or rice. Enjoy.
- Make this recipe gluten-free by using a 1:1 GF all purpose flour. The flour helps to thicken the sauce so don't skip it.
- Feel free to add in other veggies into this dish like zucchini or mushrooms if you like.
- Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days and can be reheated in the oven at 350F til warmed through.
Calories: 523kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 1112mg | Potassium: 959mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1347IU | Vitamin C: 78mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 4mg