Delicious, rich and so comforting, this Italian chicken cacciatore recipe is full of bold and vibrant flavors. Simple to make all in one skillet, this bone-in chicken recipe is all kinds of tasty!
Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Bursting with flavors of tomatoes and herbs, this Italian chicken recipe is a classic for good reason.
Simple to make, this is one of my favorite recipes for bone-in chicken. It’s easy to prep and the majority of the cooking time is totally hands off.
This is one delicious dinner that the whole family will love.
Why you’ll love this Easy Chicken Cacciatore recipe:
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: Although the ingredients list is long, a lot of them are pantry staples that you will already have to hand.
- ONE PAN: This recipe is all cooked in one skillet on the stovetop so clean up is a breeze.
- MADE FROM SCRATCH: This recipe is made with lots of veggies and fresh ingredients, so you can feel good about tucking in. It’s much easier than you think to make it too!
How to make Chicken Cacciatore in a Skillet
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Season and flour the chicken and brown in a skillet.
- Saute the vegetables and stir in the tomatoes and seasonings.
- Add in the wine.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and simmer til falling off the bone.
What’s the best cut of chicken to use?
Bone in chicken, thighs or leg pieces are best to use in this recipe. The bone helps to keep the chicken moist as well as adding lots of flavor from the fat.
This can be made with chicken breast, but will require a shorter cooking time and you need to be careful not to overcook them as they can easily dry out.
What is chicken cacciatore?
Cacciatore means ‘hunter’ in Italian, and this dish is often referred to as peasant food. Cheaper cuts of bone-in chicken are cooked with fresh vegetables and herbs for a really hearty and flavorful dish. It’s rustic in the best way possible.
What do you serve it with?
Traditionally this Italian chicken dish was served with crusty bread or polenta. I love to serve it over rice or pasta. There’s lots of veggies already included, but you can serve it alongside a side salad or some steamed vegetables as well.
- Make this recipe gluten-free by using a 1:1 GF all purpose flour. The flour helps to thicken the sauce so don’t skip it.
- Feel free to add in other veggies into this dish like zucchini or mushrooms if you like.
- Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days and can be reheated in the oven at 350F til warmed through.
This is one hearty and wholesome chicken dish, and perfect when you are in the mood for something comforting. This Italian chicken cacciatore recipe is sure to be a hit with all who try it!
More Italian Inspired Recipes to Try
- Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Parmesan
- Grandma’s Meatballs
- Baked Spaghetti
- Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce
- Stovetop Lasagna
More Chicken Recipes we Love
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!