This cheesy roasted broccoli recipe is the thing of side dish dreams! Easy to make with just a handful of ingredients, it’s perfect to serve as part of your Thanksgiving or holiday meal, and quick enough to be part of a weeknight dinner.
When it comes to the holidays I’m all about sides, and the crispier and cheesier the better! This broccoli is one of my familys favorites, and I thought it was about time I shared it with you!
How to Make This Crispy Cheesy Roasted Broccoli Recipe
Heat oven to 450°F and set a large, rimmed sheet pan on the middle rack in the oven (while the oven heats).
While the oven preheats, bring a large pot of water and 1-teaspoon salt to boil.
While the water heats, rinse and cut the broccoli into florets (they should all be about the same size).
Fill a large mixing bowl with ice water, and set it next to the stove.
When the water is boiling, add the broccoli florets, and set the heat to medium-low. Boil the broccoli for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, use a slotted spoon to submerge the broccoli in the ice water to cool for 2 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a paper towel-lined plate to dry and pat dry with another paper towel.
In a large bowl, mix together broccoli, olive oil, 1-teaspoon salt and black pepper.
In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, panko crumbs, shredded cheddar, grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
Remove the hot baking sheet from the oven and spread the broccoli mixture evenly over the pan.
Set the oven to broil and return the pan with the broccoli to the middle rack of the oven.
Broil the broccoli 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and
sprinkle the breadcrumb/cheese mixture evenly over the top of the broccoli.
Return the broccoli to the oven and broil another 3-5 minutes or until the broccoli is fork-tender and the cheese has melted and is crispy around the edges. Watch closely so the cheese doesn’t burn. (**Note: If the cheese is browning too quickly, remove the broccoli from the oven and turn off the broiler. After 1 minute, return the broccoli to the oven and let it finish cooking with residual heat.)
Serve immediately and…
How do you make broccoli crispy?
This oven roasted cheesy broccoli is so perfectly crispy, and there’s a few key tips to making this happen:
- Panko breadcrumbs and these are a must ingredient in this recipe, fine breadcrumbs aren’t a great substitute. They really add a great texture to the broccoli.
- Before roasting, the broccoli is very slightly boiled and placed in cold water (this helps it to keep its vibrant green color), it’s important to remove any excess water with paper towels, this will help keep it crispy too.
- Don’t over crowd the roasting sheet either or this can create steam and result in the broccoli not getting crispy.
What do you serve with cheesy roasted broccoli?
This broccoli is perfect as a side for your Thanksgiving or holiday table, but it will also work well with fish, beef and chicken dishes. Try it with:
- Garlic Butter Salmon (Easy Grilled Salmon Recipe)
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken Caprese Recipe
- Easy Restaurant Steak Recipe with Cilantro Steak Butter
- Frito Pie Casserole Recipe
Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan
The broccoli is roasted with two types of cheese, cheddar and parmesan. The cheddar melts wonderfully across the broccoli and the parmesan adds a really nutty and cheesy flavor to the whole dish. Cheesy roasted broccoli is decadent, full of flavor and amazingly delicious!
Can you use frozen broccoli to roast?
It’s best not to use frozen broccoli in this recipe, fresh is definitely best in this case. If you are in a pinch though, you can use frozen in the place of fresh.
Top Tips to Make This Crispy Cheesy Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- Be sure to place the broccoli in ice water after boiling it, this will help it to stop cooking and retain it’s color.
- It’s best to use freshly grated parmesan rather than pre-grated.
- Cook the side dish in a pre heated oven and serve immediately.
- Keep an eye when broiling that the cheese doesn’t burn.
For more easy vegetable side dishes:
- Honey Glazed Carrots Recipe with Ginger
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Bacon
- Oven Roasted Asparagus Recipe with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Parmesan
Holy crap this dish is incredible!! I was craving cheesy bread but didn’t want to totally give in. This completely filled the craving with the crunchy cheese bits. I will 1000% make this again!
I’m happy I could help!! SO glad you loved it!!!
Yum!! This would be soooo good on a baked potato.
That sounds delicious!!
This is one of my favorite ways to prepare broccoli!! Love the cheesiness!!
Thanks Kristyn! That’s one of my favorite parts too!
I love your idea of topping it with panko! I’ve always made a version of this for Thanksgiving but this is wayyyy better.
Let me know what you think of it once you try it!
Roasted broccoli is the best! Throw on that layer of cheese and it’s irresistible. Great recipe!
Thank you, Stephanie!!
There’s no better way to enjoy broccoli than crispy and cheesy, SO good!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Kimberly!!