The Best Cottage Pie recipe is here! This is the original comfort food! A tasty ground beef gravy filling is topped with crispy, creamy mashed potato and baked until golden perfection. Swap the beef for lamb, and you’ll turn this into a Shepherd’s Pie!
Skillet Cottage Pie
The Best Cottage pie recipe is also easy to whip up! Most of the cooking action is done in one skillet. It’s hearty, comforting and delicious, you’ll want to make it all year round!
How To Make The Best Cottage Pie Recipe – Step By Step
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook beef in large skillet.
- Add oil, butter and carrots to the skillet. Cook while stirring.
- Add onions and cook until onions are translucent and carrots and onions have softened.
- Add seasonings and sauces.
- Remove from heat and add peas. Season to taste with additional salt & pepper, if needed.
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and set oven to broil. Spoon the mashed potatoes, in an even layer, over the beef mixture and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle with cheese and broil.
- Serve and enjoy!
What’s The Difference Between Cottage Pie And Shepherd’s Pie?
Cottage Pie is a popular English classic, it’s the don of comfort foods!
There is often confusion over the difference between Shepherd’s Pie and Cottage Pie. Both are made the same way – a ground meat filling in a gravy sauce that is topped with mashed potato, then baked.
The only difference is that Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb instead of beef.
So if you want, just swap the beef in this recipe with lamb and you’ll have a Shepherd’s Pie. Both are awesome!
How to Store
Freshly baked cottage pie will keep for about 3 to 5 days in the fridge. Refrigerate covered with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
To freeze, wrap cottage pie tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in heavy-duty freezer bag, it will last in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When ready to eat, reheat the cottage pie (still covered with the foil) for 1 hour in a 350ºF oven.
For a cosy meal on a cold winter night, you can’t beat a Cottage Pie with perhaps a side of Glazed Roasted Carrots and Grilled Asparagus Recipe with Lemon Butter.
The only other thing you need is a glass of red wine!
- If using a cast iron skillet make sure to put a tea towel around the handle, things get hot!
- To stop the potato from sinking into the filling, cool the filling first. But this isn’t essential.
- Ensure the filling reduces down enough. to ensure you don’t end up with a watery filling after baking. It’s so disappointing when you break through the potato to be greeted with a beef sitting in a watery sauce!
- You can swap the beef for lamb, to make a delectable shepherd’s pie!
Check Out These Cozy Beef Recipes
- Cozy Bacon Cheeseburger Pot Pie
- Frito Pie Casserole Recipe
- Beef Pot Pie
- Crockpot Beef and Noodles
- Sweet and Sour Brisket
- Bacon Meatloaf
Have you tried the Best Cottage Pie recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!