Millionaire Bars are three layers of pure bliss! A shortbread cookie layer is topped with sweet homemade caramel, and a thick layer of smooth chocolate is spread right across the very top. It’s hard to say which element of these sweet treats is the best since they’re all pretty perfect!
What’s the best way to dress up some homemade shortbread? With layers of caramel and chocolate, of course! This easy homemade Millionaire Bars recipe is perfect for gifting around the holidays or bringing with you to cookie exchanges. They’re always a crowd favorite!
The shortbread layer is so classic and buttery. It’s sweet, but just subtly so. The real sweetness comes from the thick layer of homemade caramel that’s sandwiched in the middle of the cookie and chocolate layers.
Why You’ll Love this Millionaire Bars Recipe:
- Layered: The three distinct layers create amazing contrasting flavors. They also provide a picture perfect appearance when sliced just right!
- So Easy: Each delicious layer of these Millionaire Bars is so easy to whip up.
- Christmas Favorite: These bars are tasty all year round! With that being said, they are definitely one of my favorite holiday recipes to gift to friends and neighbors.
After you take your first bite of a Millionaire Bar, it’s fun to try and decide what your favorite layer is…I usually love the shortbread the most, but I’m also fond of the caramel. And the chocolate…it’s impossible to choose favorites!
How to Make Millionaire Bars
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Start by making the shortbread cookie layer, and press it into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake briefly and let it cool.
- Next, make the caramel layer and pour it over the cookie layer. Then refrigerate it to let it set.
- Finally, melt the chocolate, pour it on top of the caramel, and let it set before serving.
Millionaire bars (aka: millionaire shortbread) are thick, decadent bars made from layers of shortbread cookie, buttery caramel, and silky chocolate.
The name millionaire bars (or millionaire shortbread) comes from the fact that these bars are incredibly rich and decadent, just like a millionaire!
Twix candy bars are based on millionaire bars, but homemade is so much better!
Yes! The caramel will be runny when you first pour it on, so it needs time to set up before you add the chocolate. Otherwise, the chocolate will melt into the caramel, creating a muddy layer.
Absolutely! These bars will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Bring these sweet dessert bars to any potluck or party and watch them disappear!
Make Ahead Instructions
Millionaire bars can be made up to 3 days in advance of when you plan to serve them. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Store millionaire bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Enjoy cold or at room temperature.
Freeze millionaire bars in a single layer on a lined baking sheet until solid, about 1-2 hours. Transfer to an airtight container or Ziplock bag to store for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature before enjoying.
- Try switching up the chocolate. You can use milk, semisweet, dark, or white chocolate!
- Stir chocolate chips or crushed pretzels into the shortbread dough.
- Sprinkle Reese’s Pieces, chopped peanut butter cups or Rolos, toffee chips, or mini M&M’s over top before the chocolate sets.
Tips for the Best Millionaire Bars
- Line your baking dish for easy removal.
- Measure your flour using the spoon-and-level method to avoid dense, dry cookies.
- Take care not to boil the caramel filling; otherwise, it may set too hard.
- Stir the caramel constantly to prevent it from scorching.
More Holiday Cookie Recipes We Love
- Gingerbread Kiss Cookies
- Splatter Paint Christmas Cookies
- Pecan Sandies
- Coconut Macaroons
- Italian Anise Cookies
Shortbread is buttery, soft, and baked to perfection before being topped with sweet homemade caramel and smooth chocolate. They’re highly addictive and hard to eat just one of! Sinking your teeth into your first bite of a homemade Millionaire Bar is an experience you’ll never forget.
More Chocolatey Dessert Recipes to Try:
- Cosmic Brownies
- S’mores Bars
- Chocolate Pound Cake
- Coconut Fudge
- Ferrero Rocher Brownies
- Easy Mint Chip Ice Cream Pie
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Symphony Bar Chocolate Shell
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.