Tender chicken breasts, coated with crispy breadcrumbs, packed with sliced ham and swiss cheese – who doesn’t love a delectable Chicken Cordon Bleu! Easy to make and so delicious!
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
This easy chicken cordon bleu recipe looks as good as it tastes! Oven baked to perfection, these beauties come out tender in the middle and crunchy on the outside, with a flavor packed ham and cheese filling. Perfect for when you want something that feels fancy but is actually super simple to make!
Why You’ll Love this Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe:
- CHEESY: Loaded with melty, creamy Swiss cheese!
- CRISPY: Coated with light and airy panko breadcrumbs for the perfect crunch!
- EASY: Made kitchen staples, this gorgeous chicken dish comes together so easily.
Chicken Cordon Bleu is such a simple classic, you’ll want this as part of your weekly meal rota!
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound your chicken.
- Layer your ham and cheese onto the flattened chicken, roll up the chicken and refrigerate.
- Set up your breading station and coat your chicken.
- Brush with butter and bake.
- Serve and enjoy!
“Cordon Bleu” is French for “blue ribbon”, a distinction given to the best chefs. The dish consists of chicken stuffed with cheese and ham, breaded, and fried (although, in this recipe, we bake it!).
Yes! Using store-bought thin-sliced chicken breasts is a great (and less messy) shortcut for making chicken cordon bleu. You can skip the pounding step of the recipe this way.
To tell when the chicken is fully baked, insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the meat (NOT into the filling!). It should read 165°F when the meat is fully cooked.
The traditional cheese used in chicken cordon bleu is Swiss, but you could also use gruyere, white cheddar, or fontina.
Chicken Cordon Bleu plays well with a multitude of sides, here’s some favorites:
- Three Cheese Asparagus Gratin
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes with Garlic Butter
This baked chicken recipe serves up the perfect mix of juicy chicken with a crispy coating!
Store leftover chicken cordon bleu in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I recommend preparing chicken cordon bleu and freezing before baking for the best results. Freeze unbaked chicken cordon bleu in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let the chicken thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking.
- If desired, you can use prosciutto in place of the ham.
- Use gruyere, white cheddar, or fontina in place of the Swiss cheese.
- You can use Italian breadcrumbs in place of the Panko.
Make It A Meal
More Kid-Friendly Recipes We Love
- Ham and Mozzarella Sticks
- Chicken Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Garlic Butter Sandwich Skewers
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
Cheesy, savory and easy to make – this Chicken Cordon Bleu is ticking all the boxes for an easy and delicious weeknight dinner! Oven baked so they come out perfect every time and no grease! Coated with a delectably crunchy coating, these little beauties will please kids and adults alike!
More Oven Baked Chicken Recipes to Try:
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Bacon Ranch
- Cuban Mojo Chicken
- Baked Caesar Chicken
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.