Oven Fried Chicken is one of our all time favorite recipes! It’s so healthy, juicy, flavorful, and CRISPY! You would never guess this chicken is oven baked and not fried. The spice rub tastes just like your favorite KFC. SO MUCH FLAVOR! This baked friend chicken breast is one of our favorites to make year round.
The Crispiest Baked Fried Chicken
Oven Fried Chicken is the perfect kind of recipe for our family and one of our favorite easy recipes!
I have a running theme on The Cookie Rookie: Simple and delicious. On this journey to learn how to cook, I’ve found that my very favorite meals are those with the simplest ingredients, easiest prep, and best flavors.
I’m always looking for recipes that are made in a flash, and cleaned up even faster! Sometimes the simple meals are simply the best. This baked fried chicken breast is my newest recipe to prove my point. This recipe is so quick, so easy, and so delicious!
This chicken comes out of the oven SO crispy, you won’t believe it!
Eating this oven fried chicken recipe will have everyone thinking you ran down the street and got KFC Fried Chicken. But you secretly made a healthy baked version instead. WINNING!
A healthier alternative to frying
I’ve been attempting to cook healthier meals for the past couple months. But healthy doesn’t have to be boring!
For me, healthy is all about making simple substitutes and tweaks to favorite dishes. This crispy baked fried chicken is the perfect example!
Instead of deep frying chicken, we’re baking it in the oven with a flavorful flour coating that turns crispy. Trust me, it’s just as good as the real thing, with less calories, less grease, but all the flavor!
How to Make Oven Fried Chicken Breast
As you can see in the step-by-step recipe photos below, this healthy fried chicken breast is pretty straightforward.
- Cut chicken breasts into 4 portions.
- Marinate chicken in milk for 20 minutes.
- Mix together the breading mixture.
- Coat the baking pan with parchment and melted butter.
- Dip chicken in the flour/breading mixture.
- Bake chicken at 400°F for 35-40 minutes.
That’s all there is to it! Watch the video to see the step by step recipe in action. Check below for the printable recipe card with full instructions and ingredient list.
Can chicken baked in the oven really be crispy?
Believe it or not, YES!
Most people think you need to deep fry to get that super crispy coating. Sure, you won’t have the same thick layers of breading, BUT you can get a really nice layer of flavorful, crispy breading on your oven fried chicken.
Check below for some tips on keeping it crispy!
I have loved learning the lighter side of cooking. This is such an easy way to lighten up a true classic (try our Buttermilk Fried Chicken if you want the real deal). All the comforts of home, in a slimmed down version. Another favorite variation of this recipe is our Oven Fried Parmesan Crusted Chicken. OBSESSED.
Oven Baked Chicken Recipe Tips
This oven fried chicken breast is SO EASY, healthy(er), and yummy. The outside is nice and crispy, while the inside stays juicy. What more can you ask for?
Here are some tips to make sure it’s crispy, juicy, and delicious:
- Letting the chicken breast marinate in milk for 20 minutes helps break down enzymes so that the meat becomes more tender. It’s common practice to soak chicken in milk when making Southern-fried chicken, although sometimes it’s marinated overnight. 20 minutes is enough for this easy recipe.
- Flour, paprika, all-purpose spice, salt & pepper make a delicious spice rub and acts as the “breaded” coating here. It really crisps up like breading in the oven.
- Pat the chicken dry after marinating it to remove excess milk. You want the surface of the meat to be dry so the coating sticks and doesn’t slide off while baking.
- Leave space between the chicken when placing it in the pan. You want the heat to bake all sides of it in the oven to help it get extra crispy.
Baked Chicken you can make Year Round
I might just have to try all three! Isn’t it wonderful when lightened up recipes turn out as flavorful as the sinful ones? Those are the recipes to hold on to and pass down for generations.
Can you put floured chicken in the oven?
Of course you can! Complete honesty with this baked fried chicken…the skin does come out crispy from the oven but its not as thick as the crispy skin on truly fried chicken. You still want to do the flour coating and all the spices to create a delicious crispy skin on your chicken.
What is the internal temperature when it’s done?
Chicken should read 165°F internal temperature when they’re ready to eat.
It’s always good to check with a meat thermometer when you’re about to take them out of the oven! You don’t want to undercook chicken, so it’s always good to keep a meat thermometer on hand.
See our Meat Temperature Guide for more info!
Do you have other baked chicken breast recipes you love?
OH YES! I love the versatility of baking chicken instead of frying. I have all kinds of ideas for you!
We have an entire guide to the Best Baked Chicken Recipes, but here are some favorites:
- Chicken Tacos
- Simple Spiced Baked Chicken Wings
- Baked Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
- Honey Garlic Baked Chicken
- Juicy Pan-Seared Chicken
So many amazing options when baking instead of frying! Chicken Recipes for the win!
Watch the video and see the recipe card below for full details on how to make oven fried chicken breast.