This Classic Italian Pasta Salad Recipe is the cold pasta salad you need to be serving this summer! Made with tri-colored rotini pasta, this easy dish comes together in less than twenty minutes. It’s the perfect dish to serve at cookouts and summer parties.
Classic Pasta Salad
Is it even summer without a delicious pasta salad? I always love serving up a big bowl at our summer parties, or taking it along to cookouts at friends’. Loaded with fresh Italian ingredients, this dish is always a hit!
How to make this Classic Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook the pasta to al-dente, per package directions. Drain and rinse the pasta with cold water to stop the cooking; shake off excess liquid. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Pour the cooked pasta onto the paper towels to let the pasta dry 10-15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add pasta, salami, tomatoes, onions, Mozzarella, peperoncini, olives and basil; stir to combine.
- Pour ¾ cup dressing over the pasta salad and toss well (all pasta ingredients should be coated with the dressing).
- Refrigerate in an airtight container until time to serve and add the remaining ¼ cup dressing. Toss together until well incorporated and serve.
Cold Pasta Recipe
A cold pasta salad is always a great option for a side dish during the summer months. You can make it ahead of time and it comes together so easily.
Italian meats add a real depth of flavor to this pasta and fresh basil leaves give it an amazing lift. Tri-colored pasta makes it extra pretty and perfect to serve to guests.
What goes with Classic Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
Generally I serve this up as a side dish, along with some grilled meats, a Potato Salad and a big leafy green salad. Just pop the big bowl into the middle of the table and everyone can help themselves for easy entertaining.
This Italian Pasta Salad also keeps well, covered in the fridge for 3-4 days, so it’s also a great option for make ahead cold lunches and dinners.
What to pair with Classic Pasta Salad
Pasta Salad goes with everything, lets face it! Here are some of our favorite ways to pair this perfect Italian pasta salad recipe for Summer!
- Grilled Burgers
- Grilled Pork Chops
- Baked Chili Dogs
- Butter Burger Recipe
- Crockpot Ribs
- Egg Salad
- Chicken Avocado Pitas
- BLT Sandwich
- Slow Cooker French Dip
What makes this pasta salad Italian?
I love the classic Italian flavors in this salad – it quite simply tastes like summer! The Italian ingredients that make up this dish are;
- Rotini Pasta
- Italian Salami
- Glory Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Mozzarella Pearls
- Basil Leaves
- Italian Dressing
Be sure to use the freshest and best quality ingredients that you can for a real hit of flavor!
- I love using tri-colored pasta for this dish, but you can use plain if that’s all you have.
- If you are making this pasta ahead of time, you will have to add a bit more dressing before you serve it (see instructions).
- Cook the pasta al-dente.
- Use your favorite store-bought Italian dressing for this recipe.
Be sure to check out these other summer salad recipes!
- Green Goddess Pasta Salad Recipe
- Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad
- Caesar Salad Recipe (Classic Caesar Salad)
- Easy Macaroni Salad
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.
I’m taking it to dinner at a friends ! I added cucumbers, my family loves it!
Thanks for sharing, Debbie!
Amazing! I’ve been nominated to bring this to every family grilling event we have!
That’s great! Thanks for sharing, Jessica!
Loved this pasta salad! Made it for a BBQ and everyone else did too.
Yay! Thanks, Katie!
The classic Italian pasta looks so incredible. I love the mix of protein and veggies, makes pasta way more refreshing. Thanks for an awesome recipe!
I love pasta but have to admit salami is my favourite part in this delicious salad! Yum!
This recipe was fantastic! It was so easy to make and tasted great!
Oh my gosh, this is SO GOOD. Thanks!!