BAKED CHICKEN SALAD PIE is my absolute favorite comfort food recipe. Hot Chicken Salad baked into a flakey pie crust and covered with cheese…what could be better?! Our family LOVES this recipe!
I love all of my mom’s home cooking…but I have a couple favorites. Some that never ever disappoint are her Creamy Chicken Soup, Spaghetti and Meatballs, and Sherry Chicken. I literally crave them all the time. And then there is her Baked Chicken Salad Pie.
Mom adapted this recipe The Blue Owl Restaurant & Bakery in Kimmswick, MO (Missouri does have a few perks)…and it is one of my all-time favorite meals. Its cozy, hearty, and just feels like home.
I have always loved chicken salad, its the perfect summer meal. In the winter, I cannot get enough of chicken salad baked into a creamy, delicious pie. Flaky pie crust, delicious chicken salad, cheese…so many of my favorites!
We love to use Trader Joe’s pie crust. Its just flakier and tastes just like homemade. If you want to make your own, check out my sister in law’s delicious homemade pie crust recipe. When I have time, that’s what I prefer to make, but in a pinch, Trader Joe’s is seriously good!
Recipe adapted from The Blue Owl Restaurant & Bakery in Kimmswick, MO To lighten this recipe, use non-fat sour cream and mayonnaise and adjust the cheese to your liking.
- 10" unbaked pie crust Trader Joe's frozen pie crust is a favorite with this dish.
- 3 c cooked chicken diced. I use rotisserie chicken.
- 1/2 c slivered almonds toasted in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Watch closely.
- 1/2-1 c sweet yellow onion sauted in 1T olive oil & 1T butter until translucent.
- 1/2 c celery diced sauted with the onion until translucent.
- 2 T lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 c mayonnaise I use Hellmans
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or celery soup
- 1 small can water chestnuts diced or sliced
- 1/2 t Parisien or Bonnes Herbs (your favorite herb can be substituted.)
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 1/4 t smoked paprika opt.
- 1/4 t Emerils Essence opt.
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheese - divided in half. I use a cheddar and Gruyere combo.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the pie dough in a 10" pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with 3/4 c cheese. Mix well.
- Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, sprinkle the last 3/4 c cheese over the pie.
- Bake 10-15 minutes more. The pie should be set in the middle and crust golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and let the pie rest/cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
** If you need a delicious dip, just mix all ingredients (except the pie crust, of course) together. Bake in a sprayed casserole dish for 30-40 minutes. (The dip can also be cooked in a crock pot.) Serve with crackers and/or vegetables.
TRY SOME OF OUR OTHER FAMILY FAVORITES!: