These simple and delicious (for your cat) Homemade Cat Treats will knock your cat’s paws off!! It’s hard to win a cat’s love…but these might just work. Happy Birthday Dill!
I’m such a bad cat mom! While we were in Jamaica, our youngest furry child, Dill the cat, turned 2. What should have been a happy time of celebration turned sad when we totally forgot his birthday and didn’t even bring him a souvenir. So basically we left him alone for a week (aside from the daily visits from his grandma), and then forgot his birthday. I worry that I scarred him for life!
When we came home, it was such a relief that he forgave us right away. He was so happy to see us, he didn’t even care. I searched the internet for the perfect kitty apology. I found these easy treats on one of my favorite sites, Joy the Baker, and was inspired. I made Dill these belated Homemade Cat Treats, Tuna and Catnip Cat Treat Croutons to be exact! He was quite pleased!
Scout was very jealous, but all was right in the world! These simple treats are an easy way to say “I love you!” to your favorite kitty. They deserve it when they aren’t destroying blinds and singing you songs at 3am. I know Dill isn’t the only cat out there that loves to par-tay at 3am!
Dill’s birthday didn’t stop there, and I want to get you all involved in the fun! We were invited to participate in a super fun sweepstakes with Meow Mix, and I wanted to be sure I spread the word! I love giveaways, fun stuff, and cats, so this sweepstakes is right up my alley! It’s Meow Time!
Meow Mix has been enriching meal times for cats and owners for years. Cats are fickle animals, but they’re never quite as sweet as when they’re hungry. Dill runs this house, and he knows how to turn on the love eyes when he wants some Meow Mix!
Meow Mix is inviting everyone to recreate the iconic “Meow Mix Jingle” with your cat (you can upload a picture or a video) for a chance to win a trip to HOLLYWOOD! Celebrities are even getting involved and are recreating the jingle in all sorts of genres. Check out this EDM remix by Ashworth!
Cats may be aloof, and total jerks at times, but Dill has my heart. He may not make as many appearances on this blog as his big sis Scout, but he is just as big a part of the family. Happy Birthday Dilly!
Homemade Cat Treats: Tuna and Catnip Cat Treat Croutons! Recipe Inspired by Joy The Baker: http://joythebaker.com/2014/01/tuna-catnip-kitty-treats/
- 1 5 ounce bag or can tuna, drained
- 1 cup coconut flour (for a stickier, thicker consistency, you can use whole wheat flour or oat flour. those flours might work better if you want to roll these into balls. if making the crouton shape, the coconut flour works just fine :)
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried catnip
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tablespoons water (add more water if you want the dough a bit stickier)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine drained tuna, egg, coconut flour, water, olive oil and catnip. Blend in a food processor until mixture is smooth and completely combined.
- The mixture is different than a normal dough. Its not very sticky and is a bit powdery.
- Pinch or roll pieces of the dough into "croutons" and place on baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 12 - 15 minutes until they are dried on top and browned. It's okay for them to be slightly burned, you want them crunchy!
- Allow to cool completely.
- These will store in your fridge for about a week. Since they contain egg and tuna, you shouldn't keep them longer than that. Store in an airtight container.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Meow Mix through their partnership with POPSUGAR. While I was compensated by POPSUGAR to write a post about Meow Mix, all opinions are my own.