These easy Chocolate Lava Cakes give the feel of a 5-star restaurant in the comfort of your own home. They’re delicious, indulgent, and shockingly simple! I’ve added another twist – peanut butter – and it’s so good!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cakes Recipe
Chocolate Lava Cakes– so what are they? They’re just the most intense and delicious chocolate cake you’ll ever eat, but with added peanut butter, that’s all!
These delectable desserts have a soft and spongey exterior and a gooey, molten-chocolate-peanut butter center; they’re so delicious!
Why you’ll love this Lava Cake Recipe:
- Intense flavors: Rich chocolate and creamy peanut butter combine to make one decadent dessert.
- Easy: They look gorgeous, with a melty middle, but are pretty simple to make. They go from pantry to table in around 30 mins.
- Restaurant quality dessert: Single servings, great for impressing at dinner parties.
- Butter – unsalted.
- Cocoa powder – unsweetened.
- Flour – all-purpose.
- Chocolate – chopped. I prefer German baking chocolate.
- Peanut butter – creamy is best for a smooth cake filling. I went for low-fat peanut butter and it works great.
- Sugar – powdered and granulated.
- Eggs – large.
How to Make Chocolate Lava Cakes With Peanut Butter
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a saucepan; set aside to cool.
- Mix the peanut butter filling with powdered sugar and melted butter.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and pale yellow.
- Stir in the chocolate until no streaks remain; then fold in the flour.
- Divide 2/3 of the mixture between four ramekins. Then add a big spoonful of peanut butter and top with the rest of the batter and bake.
- Once you take them out of the oven, try your best to refrain from eating them right out of the ramekins let them cool for about 10 minutes, and then flip them over. More detailed instructions are in the recipe card below, but they should come out pretty easily and create a nice little cake. So darn cute!
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, or top with vanilla ice cream, and go to town! Inside this sweet little cake lies creamy, amazing peanut butter. It’s like a big peanut butter cup–heaven!
How Do You Prep Ramekins?
Prepping the ramekins so you can easily remove the lava cakes is super important, I mean unless you plan on eating it straight from the ramekin (no judging here), you need the cake to come out easily.
To prepare the ramekins, simply lightly coat them in a little olive oil (you can also use butter) and grease the inside like you would any other cake tin– but keep it light!
Next, dust the inside with a mixture of flour and cocoa powder; you might have done this before when making cakes.
This gives the ramekins an extra lining to stop any cake batter sticking, they’ll slide right out (see photo below).
How Do You Know When the Lava Cakes are Done?
These cakes don’t take long at all to bake (pretty much like cupcakes). Plan on about 14-16 minutes.
To tell if they are done, you should see a crispy and cracked top with a jiggly middle. If you stick a toothpick 1/2 inch into the cake it should come out clean (any deeper will be wet).
Should You Serve Them Warm or Cold?
Lava cakes should always be served warm to ensure that flowing ooey-gooey center. They are absolutely delicious and super decadent. Serving them cold just wouldn’t be the same!
More Chocolate Desserts You Might Like
- Easy Churros
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake Skillet
- Velvet Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!