Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake is a classic, and this fun skillet version is just as gooey, chocolatey, and delicious! This easy chocolate cake recipe is just as easy as baking it in a sheet pan. Top this tasty skillet dessert with ice cream and dig in!
Table of Contents
Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake Skillet
I’m taking some inspiration from Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake and turning into the perfect skillet dessert. This easy chocolate cake recipe is perfect for sharing!
Okay. I know making this cake in a skillet technically means it is NOT a true Texas Sheet Cake. But the gooey, chocolate goodness is directly inspired by it, and I think baking it in a skillet is just as simple as baking it in a sheet pan. Anyways, I love this idea and I’m sticking to it!
This Gooey Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake Skillet recipe is just perfect. It’s so delicious and it’s easy to make. An EASY chocolate cake recipe? Yup, that’s what I’m here for! I think skillet desserts are so fun, and they always make me feel like I’m at a restaurant, even when I make them at home.
Top this amazing chocolate cake with scoops of vanilla ice cream, hand everyone and spoon, and dig in! This dessert is meant to be shared, so have at it!
Make Gooey Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake in a SKILLET instead of a sheet pan, and see how easy it it. Everyone will devour this easy chocolate cake recipe!
Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
I like my Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake Skillet EXTRA GOOEY so that the only way to eat it is with a spoon! Actually multiple spoons, because this dessert is definitely meant to be shared. If you prefer a more rule-driven existence, you can bake it a bit longer until it’s fully cooked and ready to slice. But then that takes the fun out of diving head first into all that chocolate dessert goodness. And let me tell you, it is FUN.
Yup, this easy chocolate cake recipe is tasty AND fun. It’s sure to bring everyone together!
How to Make Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake in a Skillet
Let me just say it again: I realize that by baking this in a cast iron skillet, it kind of takes away the “sheet cake” part of Texas Sheet Cake. BUT it still follow the same idea by being made in this skillet. It’s soft and moist in the middle, and it’s so simple to make. This cake is just so delicious, and that frosting is so perfect!
How to make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray your 10-inch skillet with non-stick spray.
- Combine water, cocoa powder, and butter in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil and then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, and then whisk in the sour cream and vanilla extract. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture, and stir to combine.
- Now pour the warm chocolate mixture into the flour mixture, and whisk to fully combine everything.
- Pour the chocolate cake mixture into the skillet, and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350°F.
Check the recipe card for more details on the preferred doneness of the cake. I like it a little bit gooey in the middle, but you might prefer to bake it a bit longer.
Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and prepare the frosting.
How to make the frosting:
- Combine milk, cocoa powder, and butter in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add in the powdered sugar. Use a hand mixer to beat until the frosting is fully smooth.
- Use a spoon to gently stir in the pecan bits.
- Pour the icing over the cake (still in the skillet) and give the cake about 10 minutes to cool before serving.
Top with scoops of ice cream, hand everyone and spoon, and have at it!
Everyone will LOVE this amazingly gooey Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake Skillet recipe. An easy chocolate cake recipe, and the perfect dessert for sharing!
Watch the Video and See the recipe card for details on how to make this Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake Skillet. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, try some other deliciously easy cake recipes:
- Oreo Poke Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake
- Velvet Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache Icing
- Gingerbread Pudding Cake
- Magic Chocolate Cake with White Icing