SUPER EASY Princess Leia Oreo Truffles! Calling all STAR WARS FANS! My niece and nephew just love these :)
So I realize these Princess Leia Oreo Truffles are way out of the norm of what I usually post here on The Cookie Rookie, but I got a wild hair and woke up one night thinking about how cute these would be. I had seen a preview for the new Star Wars movie coming out this month, and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to get creative. These aren’t perfect, but I think they’re pretty cute. AND THEY’RE SO EASY. And MOST importantly, they taste amazing. So what do you get when you develop a treat that is super easy, super tasty, and super cute? MY KIND OF RECIPE. In this case, a star wars themed super chocolatey recipe. Shall we?
Who doesn’t get all sentimental when thinking of Star Wars. I’m not a big enough fan to show up at comic con or anything, but it truly is a great movie. Of course, Princess Leia is my girl and has always been my favorite. If I’m going to make oreo truffles with a Star Wars theme, they’re going to be shaped like Princess Leia. It’s as simple as that.
I was originally going to use oreos for the hair buns on each side, but then I saw a bag of unopened rolos in my pantry. First of all, HOW DID THEY REMAIN UNOPENED. It’s a blog miracle. This recipe is brought to you by me not knowing those rolos were in my pantry. It would not have been possible without that fact.
For the base Oreo Truffle recipe I borrowed from the chocolate master, Joan from Chocolate Chocolate and More. Some of you might know that Joan passed away unexpectedly last month. She was such a gift to the blogging community, helping everyone she met. If you’re ever in need of a dessert recipe to knock the socks off of ANYONE, her site is the absolute best. You can see the base truffle recipe HERE.
Enjoy your Princess Leia Oreo Truffles!
May the force be with you to NOT EAT ALL OF THESE IN ONE SITTING. Enjoy!
Princess Leia Oreo TrufflesPrint
- 30 oreo cookies regular
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese cold
- 6 ounces white chocolate melting wafers or vanilla almond bark I used Vanilla Almond Bark
- 5 ounces dark or milk chocolate melting wafers or good quality chocolate chips
- premade chocolate icing to act as glue for rolos
- 32 rolos
- edible markers to make your eyes and lips
- Line a large cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- In a food processor or strong blender, pulse Oreos until they're finely chopped. Add cream cheese and pulse until the entire mixture is creamed together.
- Place mixture in the fridge for 10-20 minutes or until it is a bit firmer and cold.
- Roll truffle mixture into balls and place on one on the baking sheet. (TIP: to help with this process, I sprayed my hands with non-stick spray. This helped in rolling without them being super sticky).
- Place truffles in the fridge for 20 minutes until firm. After removing from fridge, you can re-roll them to make them more the shape you want if they have depressed at all.
- Heat your white chocolate or almond bark in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between. Be careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Dip each truffle into the white chocolate fully and then place on the cookie sheet again. Place in the fridge for another 20 minutes to set the chocolate/bark.
- Heat the milk or dark chocolate in the microwave the same way as before, stirring in between and being careful not to burn.
- Dip each side of each truffle into the chocolate, making the "hair line". It if works better you can use a fork for this part, dipping each side and then placing the truffle back on the wax paper.
- Again let the truffles rest in the fridge for 20 minutes to set the chocolate.
- Take each truffle and place a bit of icing on each side, where you want Leia's "hair buns" to go. Attach a rolo to each side and place back on the wax paper.
- Again allow to sit in the fridge to set the icing. (tedious, but cuteness is upon us!)
- Using edible markers, draw a face on each truffle. I did simple dots for eyes and a small heart for the mouth.
- Keep truffles up to 1 week in the fridge in an airtight container. You can also freeze them for up to 2 months, removing from the freezer 30 minutes before serving.