Grab your fork and dig into this comforting biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole. This casserole is a great make ahead option and perfect for the holidays. Everyone will love this easy breakfast casserole!
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole Recipe
Biscuits and gravy is a traditional Southern breakfast option that is loved by many. It consists of a flaky biscuit that is topped with homemade white sausage gravy. It is a hearty breakfast meal that leaves everyone feeling full and happy.
This biscuits and gravy casserole takes the best parts of the classic Southern breakfast and puts into casserole form. It’s easy to make, can be made ahead and is great for holiday mornings.
Why you’ll love this Easy Breakfast Casserole recipe:
- MAKE AHEAD FRIENDLY: Prepare this breakfast casserole the night before and save yourself some major time in the kitchen. All you have to do is cook and serve.
- FULL OF FLAVOR: This casserole may be small on prep work but it is big on flavor. It combines the flavors of classic biscuits and gravy in one simple breakfast dish.
- EASY TO MAKE: This casserole is easy to make and one that even beginner chefs can master quickly. No special ingredients or tools needed for this homemade biscuits and gravy casserole.
This recipe is great for holidays. You can prep it the night before and have it ready to bake the next morning for Easter brunch, Thanksgiving or Christmas breakfast. Simply pop it in the oven and go about your other holiday activities until it’s ready.
How to make Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook the sausage and onion until sausage has browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over top and stir to combine.
- Add the milk it batches, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the pepper, garlic and salt.
- Cut your biscuits into pieces and place in your greased baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and the spices.
- Pour the egg mixture of the biscuit pieces.
- Add a layer of cheese and then pour in the gravy mixture.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes.
- Gravy: To make this casserole recipe easier feel free to substitute the homemade gravy portion with a packaged gravy mix. Cook the sausage and follow the instructions on the gravy packet.
- Sausage: Use any flavor of sausage you prefer. If your flavor of sausage contains a good amount of salt/sodium you may want to omit the added salt in the recipe.
- Whole Milk: I do not recommend substituting this ingredient since the higher fat content helps to make a creamy, thick gravy.
- Refrigerated Biscuits: I used Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Original Biscuits. Any kind of refrigerated, frozen, or homemade biscuit will work fine. If you are using frozen biscuits be sure to thaw them completely before adding to the casserole.
- Cheese: I prefer white cheddar but yellow/orange is fine to use. Whether you use mild, medium, or sharp cheddar is personal preference. You can substitute with other flavors of cheese if you prefer. Pepper jack would be a great option. I highly recommend buying block cheese and shredding it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese contains additives that prevent it from melting smoothly.
Yes! You can! You can either prepare it in 2 separate 8×8 baking dishes or you can cut the ingredients in half. The baking time will remain the same.
Absolutely! Cook the bacon separately, chop, and stir into the cooked gravy or add it to the casserole separately.
Yes! Follow the recipe through step 8 (without baking). Cover and refrigerate overnight. When you are ready add 10-15 minutes to the bake time since the casserole will be cold.
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Yes! Follow the recipe as written and allow the baked casserole to cool completely. Either freeze in a freezer-safe covered container or wrap individual portions tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe container. To re-heat, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator and bake at 350° F until warmed through. You can also re-heat in the microwave. The casserole will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 1 month.
This casserole pairs well with:
When your casserole is done baking, allow it to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. You can pair the casserole with something simple like fresh fruit, or you can add other great breakfast items to go along with your biscuits and gravy.
- Make sure you grease baking dish well before adding the biscuits. You can use olive oil, butter or cooking spray to do this. You don’t want your casserole sticking to the baking dish!
- Be sure to watch the gravy mixture closely on the stove top. You don’t want it to get too thick because it does thicken up more when baking. When it coats the back of a spoon, it’s ready.
- Whisk the eggs until fluffy before pouring them over the biscuits. You can tip the baking dish around to make sure that they cover the entire dish.
- Storage: Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Make Ahead Instructions: Follow the recipe through step 8 (without baking). Cover and refrigerate overnight. When you are ready add 10-15 minutes to the bake time since the casserole will be cold.
- Freezing Instructions: Follow the recipe as written and allow the baked casserole to cool completely. Either freeze in a freezer-safe covered container or wrap individual portions tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe container. To re-heat, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator and bake at 350° F until warmed through. You can also re-heat in the microwave. The casserole will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Since this recipe is simple to make, it’s also a great breakfast option throughout the year. You can prepare it the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. You can also prepare it for brunches, potlucks or other family events.
Christmas Morning Faves
34+ Christmas Morning Recipes
Nothing better than waking up to an amazing (and easy) breakfast bright and early on Christmas.
If you love the taste of traditional biscuits and gravy, you are going to love this casserole! It’s a great breakfast option any time, but it’s perfect for holiday mornings. Everyone will love this easy biscuits and gravy casserole!
More Breakfast Recipes we Love
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.