Start your day right with this delicious baked sausage breakfast casserole. Perfect if you are feeding a crowd and great for make ahead breakfast for the family. Made with eggs, breakfast sausage and loaded with fresh veggies.
Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Simple to prep, this gluten-free breakfast is perfectly seasoned and is sure to please even the hungriest of mouths. It’s a perfect option for breakfast on Christmas morning!
Why you’ll love this Easy Breakfast Casserole recipe:
- MAKE AHEAD: This is delicious served warm out of the oven, but it’s also a great option for breakfast meal prep that you can enjoy throughout the week.
- HEALTHY: Low in carbs and high in protein, this veggie loaded casserole will keep you feeling full til lunchtime.
- EASY TO ADAPT: This cheese and pork casserole is easy to adapt to your tastes and dietary needs!
This hearty casserole is loaded with all of the good stuff, and it’s such an effortless way to serve up a healthy and filling breakfast!
How to make Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Brown the sausage and set to one side.
- Soften the vegetables in the same pan.
- Combine the ingredients for the egg mixture.
- Place the cooked sausage and veggies in the bottom of a prepared casserole dish.
- Pour over the egg mixture and top with cheese.
Absolutley! To make this a meat-free breakfast you can simply omit the sausage, or, use a plant-based sausage. Similarly, you can make this with other meats like ground beef, crispy bacon or cooked shredded chicken.
This sausage breakfast casserole is easy to adapt to your tastes, and you can easily add in other veggies that you have to hand. Broccoli, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and anything else you fancy can easily be added in. just make sure that they are cooked and soft and tender before adding them to the dish.
This is a great make ahead breakfast! You can make up the casserole before baking it up to a day ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge til you are ready to bake it. Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days and can be enjoyed cold or reheated in the oven or microwave.
This sausage casserole freezes really well. Wrap it securely in plastic wrap and foil and it will keep well for up to 2 months. I find it easier to freeze it whole in the baking dish, though you can wrap individual portions. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
This sausage egg casserole is perfect by itself for a hearty breakfast, but it can easily be served as a brunch, lunch or even dinner with your favorite sides for a fuller meal. Try it with:
This casserole isn’t just for breakfast! It’s a delicious dish that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
- Grease your casserole dish before adding the ingredients so that it is easy to remove and serve.
- Be sure to drain the sausage of any excess grease or the casserole can become to oily.
- The casserole is baked when the edges are set and there is a very slight jiggle in the center.
- If making ahead of time, let cool fully before storing.
Easy to make with everyday ingredients, this yummy breakfast casserole is perfect to serve up to a hungry crowd!
More Homemade Breakfast Recipes we Love
Easy to whip up, this sausage breakfast casserole is one crowd pleasing meal. Make it up ahead of time for a fuss free morning!
These easy breakfasts for a crowd are sure to please!
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!