Brown Sugar Pound Cake with BROWN SUGAR ICING (let’s be honest, it’s caramel) is utterly delicious and just perfect for Fall. A simple classic that everyone loves. This makes a wonderful and delicious homemade gift for Christmas. The pecans add a little extra crunch to this sweet and amazing Easy Pound Cake Recipe.
Brown Sugar Pound Cake topped with Caramel Brown Sugar Icing and Toasted Pecans. What more can you ask for from life?
I’m a bread making MACHINE! First the Caramel Cheesecake Stuffed Apple Bread and now this Brown Sugar Pound Cake Recipe…we are on a roll! With these two recipes combined…you can conquer Fall and especially the holidays! As far as sweet cakey breads go, this Easy Pound Cake Recipe is EVERYTHING. A simple classic, you cannot go wrong when making this for anyone and everyone.
Work party? Bring this. Homemade gift needed? Make this. New baby in the world? Make his or her mama THIS. Utterly delicious, pretty, and so perfect for Fall. I’m in love love lovvvvvve.
This Brown Sugar Icing is made from Brown Sugar, powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla. So basically everything good in life.
Now that we have talked about the Easy Brown Sugar Pound Cake itself, let’s PLEASE discuss this brown sugar icing. A mix between an icing that you spread on and a glaze that you pour, this icing is way too delicious. If I could dip the entire cake in the icing, I would.
“Brown Sugar Icing” is actually code for CARAMEL, and that’s pretty much what it tastes like. Caramel Icing. Addicting is an understatement. The sweet bread combined with the crunch of the pecans combined with the sweet thick layer of brown sugar icing…it’s all too much and all just right.
Why do they call it a Pound Cake?
True authentic Pound Cake dates back to the 1700s. The recipe called for a pound of each ingredient; butter, flour, sugar, and eggs. WOW!
What causes a Pound Cake Recipe to be too dense or sink in the middle?
If you over mix the ingredients (thus developing the flour’s gluten too much), it will rise too high in the oven and then sink once you remove. That will also result in a cake that is too dense/firm. Beating the eggs and dry ingredients on medium speed should help!
What does Brown Sugar Pound Cake taste like?
Is Heaven too simple of an answer?! It’s a decadent cake where each bite is sweet perfection. It’s great on it’s own, with icing as shown, or left alone and topped with fresh cream and sliced strawberries. It’s similar to shortcake but even better.
Is Pound Cake the same as Foam Cake?
No, honey, Pound Cake has so many more calories HA! Pound Cake is an all butter cake while Foam Cake is made from three basic ingredients; Eggs, Sugar, and Flour. Both are great but I think you can tell which one is my favorite. :)
This Brown Sugar Pound Cake is genuinely hard to put down or avoid when it’s on your counter. Good luck to you all. I ate way too much of this in one sitting and I actually don’t regret it. This is why its great you can wear layers in the Fall and Winter. Thank goodness for sweaters when this cake is around. Breakfast, snack, dessert, eat it all the live long day.
This Easy Pound Cake Recipe became a favorite last Christmas, but we have been enjoying it year round ever since. I hope you give it a try!
If you’re looking for more easy cake recipes, be sure to check out our Truly Easy Angel Food Cake, Easy Carrot Cake Bars, and Easy French Silk Pie (<— Yes that’s a pie and not a cake but it’s my all-time go to dessert recipe!). Enjoy!
Brown Sugar Pound Cake
Ingredients for Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter unsalted, room temperature
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans toasted, optional
Ingredients for Brown Sugar Glaze:
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans optional
Instructions for cake:
- Grease and flour baking pan(s) or spray with Baking Spray.
- Place butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on MED speed until creamy. Gradually add sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time. Beat, after each addition, just until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small measuring cup, mix together the milk and vanilla.
- Add the flour to the butter/sugar mixture alternately with the milk/vanilla mixture. Begin & end with the flour mixture.
- Add in pecans, if using.
- Place pan on the middle rack in a cold oven and set the temperature to 300°F.
- Bake 1 hour 10 minutes, test with a toothpick, and check every 5 minutes thereafter. The cake is done when the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
- Transfer cooked cake to a cooling rack 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
- Dust cake with powdered sugar or with glaze.
Instructions for Glaze:
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and cook 2 minutes, whisk constantly. Continue whisking and add the milk. Bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat and add the vanilla. Add the powdered sugar in ¼ cup increments, whisking after each addition. Whisk until drizzle is creamy and smooth. (Add more milk, if necessary, to desired thickness.) Pour glaze over cooled cake. Sprinkle with toasted pecans, if desired.
*Note: Brown Sugar Pound Cake starts in a cold oven to bake. Do NOT preheat the oven.
AROUND THE WEB: If you like this sweet cake recipe, I know you’ll love these other favorites from our blogging friends. Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake, Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Cake, and Lemon Sheet Cake.