This delicious Crockpot beef stew is the perfect winter warmer! Made in the slow cooker, set it in the morning and then enjoy a hearty evening meal with no effort at all!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Beef stews are one of my favorite comfort foods, but I don’t always (ever!) have the time to watch over bubbling pots on the stovetop! That’s where my trusty slow cooker comes in!
This Crockpot beef stew is such a breeze to make, and you can literally set it and forget it. The beef comes out perfectly tender and the gravy is so flavorful. It’s a great family meal!
Why you’ll love this Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe:
- Dump and go: Super quick and easy to prep, just add the ingredients to the slow cooker and let it do it’s thing!
- Budget friendly: Because the beef is slow cooked, you can use inexpensive stew meat for this recipe that’s rich in flavor, and it will become tender during cooking.
- Make ahead: This beef stew is a great option for make ahead and freezer meals.
How to make Crockpot beef stew
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Season the beef and dear it on a hot skillet.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook on low.
- Combine some of the cooking liquid with flour to make a slurry and stir into the stew.
- Add frozen peas and serve.
Can you make it ahead of time?
This Crockpot beef stew is a great make ahead dinner and can be kept in the fridge or frozen.
Let the stew cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. It will keep well for up to 4 days in the fridge and up to 6 months in the freezer.
Thaw frozen stew in the fridge overnight. Reheat on the stovetop until heated through to serve.
Can you make this recipe on the stovetop?
If you don’t have a Crockpot, you can easily make this stew on the stovetop. Follow the recipe as is, but make the stew in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot.
Let the stew simmer for around 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes until the beef is tender and stir occasionally.
What do you serve it with?
- Don’t use expensive cuts of beef for this recipe, stew meat works wonderfully and has a great rich flavor.
- Make this Crockpot beef stew gluten-free by using a 1:1 GF flour to make the slurry.
- Add in other veggies you have like sweet potato, mushrooms or bell peppers.
More Stew Recipes
- Red Wine Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Creamy Chicken Stew
- White Wine Chicken Stew
- Irish Guinness Beef Stew
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.