This is seriously the best homemade carrot cake you will make! This moist 3 layered cake is covered with the most delicious cream cheese frosting and I promise you, everyone will be asking for the recipe!
Holiday Carrot Cake Recipe
I’m so excited to share this delicious homemade carrot cake recipe with you, it will easily rival any bakery bought cake!
Three fabulous layers of the most moist and flavorful carrot cake are covered in my cream cheese frosting for a really indulgent and delicious treat!
Why you will love this homemade carrot cake!
- Easy: This impressive cake is actually pretty easy and straight forward to make!
- Moist: The moisture from the carrots and pineapple make for a delicious texture. There’s no dry crumb here!
- Delicious! The cake is perfectly spiced and is balanced by the sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting. This is a recipe that you’ll make more than once!
How to make homemade carrot cake
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In an elecric mixer, mix the sugars and add in the oil and vanilla. Add in the eggs.
- Slowly fold the flour mix into the sugar and egg mix.
- Fold in the carrots, pineapple and nuts.
- Place the batter into 3 cake pans and bake, then let cool.
- Make your Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Stack the cakes with layers of frosting and cover in a Crumb Coating. Let chill.
- Frost and decorate the cake before serving.
Can you make it ahead of time?
The elements of this cake can be made ahead of time. The carrot cake layers can be made 3 to 4 days ahead of time, wrap them well in plastic wrap AND foil to keep them moist and store in the fridge.
The cream cheese frosting can be made up to 5 days ahead of time and be stored, covered in the fridge.
How long does it keep?
Once the cake is fully frosted, it will keep well in the fridge for 4 to 5 days, but I do like to serve it on the day that it’s frosted so that it’s perfectly fresh and moist.
Do you need to use nuts in this recipe?
The nuts in this carrot cake are totally optional, they add a great texture, but can easily be omitted if someone in your family has an allergy.
I like to use either toasted pecans or walnuts to add a nice savory flavor to help balance out the sweetness.
- Spray the cake pans with cooking spray before adding the cake batter so that the layers are easy to remove from the tins.
- It’s easiest to use an electric mixer to make the cake batter, but you can mix it by hand as well, it will just take a little longer.
- Let the layers cool completely before stacking and frosting them. If the cake is still warm, the frosting will slide off.
- The carrot cake layers will take about 30-40 minutes to bake. Check they are done by either inserting a toothpick, which should come out clean, or by using an instant read thermometer which should register at 200-205F.
More Cake Recipes
This Carrot Cake is an absolute classic. Once you try it, be sure to also check out these other easy favorites!