This BEST ICING EVER is the ultimate EASY icing for every cupcake, cake, and baked good! YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS…trust me! You can easily make a batch ahead of time with just a few simple ingredients. I just know you are going to love this!
This recipe for THE BEST ICING EVER was originally published in January 2013. Three years later it is still the BEST ICING EVER and I thought it deserved new pictures and a face lift. ENJOY!
I thought a lot before naming this icing THE BEST ICING – EVER, but I just couldn’t come up with any name that could describe it better.
I love this icing and it is the best icing – ever! It will take an ordinary cake to over-the-top yummy and is especially great when combined with chocolate or red velvet cake. This icing isn’t sugary sweet, it is delicious all by itself and it will turn any cake into the best cake ever!
This is my mom Susie’s recipe, so I take zero credit for it. If you try two recipes on this site and never look back, let it be this and her Creamy Chicken Soup. She is the master and I’m so lucky she’s my mom!
How To Make The Best Icing Recipe
Be sure to scroll down to get the full recipe!
What are the ingredients in this recipe?
- Milk: I like to use 2% but 1% will also work.
- Flour: Use all purpose flour for this recipe. You can also use 1:1 gluten free flour if you have an intolerance.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter for this icing and don’t be tempted to sub it for margarine.
- Shortening: Shortening helps to get the icing wonderfully fluffy.
- Sugar: For sweetness
- Vanilla extract: a little vanilla extract really helps to boost the flavor.
- Powdered sugar: This fine sugar combines very easily and makes the frosting incredibly light.
Can you make it ahead of time?
This icing can easily be made at least a week ahead of time. Just cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and it will keep well in the fridge. It doesn’t form a crust and is ready to use straight away.
Make it your own!
You can easily change up the color and flavor of this frosting. Try swapping the vanilla extract for lemon or orange or add in some cocoa powder. Add food coloring to make it perfect for any event!
I sure hope you give this icing a try. It’s perfect on chocolate cake, any flavor cupcake, or eaten with a spoon. Pat likes it on ice cream. You won’t judge him once you try it!!!
You will want to lick the bowl clean!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Be sure to strain the milk and flour mix through a sieve if there are any lumps in it.
- Use a stand mixer to really combine the ingredients and get air into the icing.
- Beat the icing for four minutes between adding the ingredients. It will help to get air in the icing so it remains light and fluffy.
Use This Icing On:
- Velvet Chocolate Cake Recipe (Chocolate Bundt Cake)
- The Best Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
- Apple Pie Cupcakes (Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Cupcakes)
- Hummingbird Cake Recipe