Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is so flavorful, comforting, easy, and perfect! If you love Chicken Tortilla Soup, you’ll LOVE this Instant Pot Chicken Soup version. The entire family will love this classic Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe with a pressure cooker twist. This Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of our favorite Instant Pot Chicken Recipes.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup – An Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is my new favorite way to use my pressure cooker.
I have a serious love for Chicken + Soup. Mom’s Creamy Chicken Soup is my fave soup of all time, and my Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Creamy White Chicken Chili with Cream Cheese, and White Wine Chicken Stew are three of my go-to’s when I’m craving a pot of goodness. Chicken Tortilla Soup has always been a staple in our house, so this easy chicken tortilla soup recipe is a great addition. There’s just something about the spice from the flavors and the crunch from the fried tortillas that sends me into food heaven. I can’t get enough! Since I’ve been playing around with how to make all my favorites in a pressure cooker, it was only a matter of time before I tried Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup. SUCCESS!
This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is so simple to make! I love this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe and you will too!
Is the Instant Pot Safe? Will it explode??
YES! The new Instant Pot is not like pressure cookers from before. It has 10 safety precautions in place and is easy to use. Don’t be intimidated by it! It’s such an easy way to make your favorite recipes, especially soups, stews, and chilis (and this instant pot chicken tortilla soup, obviously).
The weather may be starting to warm up little by little, but there’s still plenty of soup season left to enjoy. We had SNOW this weekend!! Let’s not wish Spring here too soon…let’s keep enjoying the warm fires and warm meals before we are all having to cool off any way possible this Summer. I’m so much more the person that wants to wear layers than wear a swimsuit. I dread the Summer all year long.
We love to top this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup with fried tortilla strips, avocado slices, cojita cheese, fresh cilantro, and more. The more toppings the better.
If you’re looking for an easy, hearty, flavorful, LOVED BY ALL soup to serve this week, this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is just the thing! I love to top it with fresh limes, avocados, cilantro, sour cream, cojita cheese, fried tortillas, and diced tomatoes. The more toppings the better if you ask me. Whatever you choose to top your chicken tortilla soup with…crushed chips or homemade fried tortillas are a MUST! You really can’t eat this easy Chicken Tortilla Soup without the tortillas! TRUST AND BELIEVE. I will never get tired of a spicy soup like this!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, we have another easy chicken tortilla soup recipe for you! Be sure to check out our Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. It’s just as good, but with different cooking instructions!
I hope you enjoy this easy chicken tortilla soup as much as we do. Be sure to check out the Shop This Post section below to see my favorite Instant Pots. If you haven’t tried it yet, today is the day! xoxo
See the recipe card below for details on how to make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
For the soup:
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can Fire-roasted Rotel tomatoes or regular Rotel Tomatoes *See note
- 10.75 ounces beef broth
- 10.75 ounces chicken broth
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice from ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon bottled steak sauce
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Avocado slices
- Sour Cream
- Cojita cheese crumbled
- Shredded Mexican or Cheddar cheese
- Extra tortilla chips
For the Soup:
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté. After 1 minute, add the diced onion and cook until the onion has softened and is translucent. Add the minced garlic and set the Instant Pot to Keep Warm/Cancel.
- Set the chicken thighs on top of the onion/garlic mixture and add all the remaining soup ingredients on top of the chicken.
- Set the Instant Pot to SOUP and adjust the timer to 10 minutes with a 10-minute natural release. After 10 minutes of natural release, place a clean dishcloth over the valve and turn the valve to quick release. When the red button (float valve) goes down, the lid is safe to open.
- Use tongs to transfer the meat to a cutting board and cut the chicken into 1-inch chunks (or use two forks to shred the chicken).
- Add the chicken back to the soup and serve.
Add crushed tortilla chips (or strips) to each soup bowl and ladle the soup on top. Add a squeeze of lime and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with your other favorite garnishes.
To make the Tortilla Strips:
- Stack 3 corn tortillas and cut in half. Slice the halved tortillas crosswise into ¼" strips. Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot and add 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil. Heat the oil until it shimmers and add the tortilla strips. Stir often until the strips are golden and crispy. Transfer the strips to a paper towel-lined plate to dry. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Set aside until the soup is ready to serve.