Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup (Healthy Crockpot Tortilla Soup) is my absolute FAVORITE SOUP recipe for Winter! This Chicken Tortilla Soup is spicy, easy, and delicious. This Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is loaded with spices, chicken, tomatoes, green chiles, corn, and more! It’s so simple and delicious. Best Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Slow Cooker!
Chicken Tortilla Soup is essential if you’re craving easy comfort food.
It’s still January. New Years Resolutions are alive and well and still terrorizing my thoughts. But not every healthy recipe has to be blah. Some healthy recipes can be full of flavor, completely comforting, and SUPER EASY. This Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my absolute favorite recipes I have EVER made. I know that’s saying a lot, since there are over 600 recipes on this site. But it’s just SO good.
This healthier chicken tortilla soup recipe keeps me on track with my ambitions of eating better, without sacrificing on taste. Win win!
This Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is made in a crockpot. Isn’t that AWESOME?!
I adapted this crockpot soup recipe from one of my FAVORITE soups from growing up, my mom’s Chicken Tortilla Soup. This soup just feels like home. I dare say it’s so flavorful, it doesn’t even need cheese. CAN YOU BELIEVE I JUST SAID THAT?!
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is such a flavorful and easy recipe with simple ingredients!
If you’ve been following along, you know that I’ve honored to be an ambassador for Old El Paso this year. It has been so fun to get creative with their amazing products. I took it old school this month with this Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. I used their Green Chiles to make it a tad spicy, their Taco Seasoning to give it some extra (easy) flair, and garnished with Crispy Fried Tortilla Strips for some needed crunch. SO much Old El Paso to love in this one little recipe!
How to Make Homemade Fried Tortilla Strips
It’s super simple! I brushed some flour tortillas with oil and taco seasoning and then fried in oil. Conversely, you can fry the thin strips and then while still hot and before they dry, sprinkle on the taco seasoning. These Homemade tortilla strips are an easy way to add some character to this Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup!
What to serve with Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup:
This soup is perfect for these chilly days, and you won’t believe just how simple it is. Throw the ingredients in a slow cooker, stir to combine, and let the crockpot do all the work. Spoon and serve. Perfection.
Can you freeze Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Yes! Let the soup cool completely and then either place in a freezer safe bag or container. Keep the tortilla strips separate from the soup if you plan to freeze. Thaw in the fridge before serving and then heat on the stovetop. Easy peasy!
How would you thicken this Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup in a pinch?
If you need to thicken this Tortilla Soup, take one cup of the soup broth and mix with 1 tablespoon flour. Stir together until a paste forms. Slowly pour into the soup, stirring while you combine. Works like a charm!
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup Healthy?
This one is! We have made little tweaks to skinny it down from the typically Chicken Tortilla Soup. If you take care in what garnishes you include, you’re in business.
If you’re looking for some other favorite comfort food soups, be sure to check out our White Chicken Chili (WITH CREAM CHEESE) and Meatball Parmesan Soup! We also have an Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup that you should check out IMMEDIATELY!
See the recipe card below for How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes (or regular if you prefer less spicy)
- 1 4.5 ounce can Old El Paso green chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken
- 1 1 ounce packed Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- 1 11 ounce can steamed corn, drained and rinsed
FOR THE TORTILLA STRIPS
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 8 " Old El Paso Burrito Tortillas
- 1 tablespoon Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- cilantro Old El Paso sliced Jalapenos, low fat sour cream, low fat shredded cheese
- Heat oil over medium/high heat in a medium skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. I like mine to be a bit under-sauteed, to keep a bit of their crunch.
- Once sauteed, add the onion and garlic to a slow cooker over high heat. Add in all other ingredients except for tortillas and garnishes. Stir to combine.
- Heat on high, covered, for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours.
- Before serving, prepare the tortilla crisps:
- In a small saucepan, heat the canola oil over medium/high heat.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut each tortilla into 1/2 inch strips.
Cook the strips in batches, about 2-4 minutes or until browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the strips and allow to drain on a paper towel.
While strips are still hot and before they've dried, sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt to taste. Allow to dry completely.
- When ready to serve the soup, serve garnished with extra cilantro, low fat sour cream, jalapenos, and tortilla strips. Or any of your favorite toppings!
AROUND THE WEB: If you’re looking for other great slow cooker soups, check out these recipes from some of our friends! Slow Cooker Sausage and White Bean Soup, Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli Cheese Soup, Crockpot Corn Chowder