Chicken con Queso (Skillet Queso Chicken) is the ultimate one pot meal! Cheesy rice loaded with cilantro, pico de gallo, green chiles, and cream topped with taco spiced chicken. This one pan recipe is so cheesy, easy, and amazing. I used to always order Pollo con Queso at Mexican Restaurants and now I can easily make it at home. Chicken and Cheese…is there anything better?
ONE PAN Chicken con Queso! An amazing and easy Mexican comfort food recipe anyone can make.
Every family needs a trusted, GO-TO one pot meal. I’ve tried so many, and they’re one of my favorite things. Nothing better than a home cooked, comfort food style meal made in a skillet, with only one pan to clean at the end of the day. It just warms my heart and my stomach! This Skillet Chicken Con Queso is one of my favorites I have ever made, and Pat agreed!
Its always a good day when Pat is as happy with a recipe as I am. (He is PICKY!) This Skillet Chicken Con Queso is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. Who can resist cheesy rice, taco spiced chicken, cilantro, and so much more, all cooked in your favorite skillet. SIGN ME UP!
If you’re looking for more traditional queso, we have you covered there as well! Be sure to try our Loaded Velveeta Queso Dip (Cowboy Dip), Crock Pot Queso Fundido, Beer Cheese Dip (Only 3 Ingredients!), Dairy Free Queso, and of course our FAVORITE Homemade White Queso Recipe! <— This is the Queso we actually used for this recipe as well. I’ve linked to it in the recipe card so that you’ll be good to go. Whew…I love cheese!
Tex Mex Recipes like this Chicken con Queso make cooking for your family easy and delicious.
So often I’ll have readers write and say my Mexican inspired recipes are their favorites on the site, and I agree. It’s all thanks to Old El Paso and how easy they make cooking at home! They were a brand I loved long before I started finding my way around the kitchen, and I’m honored to be working with them today.
I used their Taco Seasoning (OBSESSED) and their chopped green chiles (CANNOT GET ENOUGH) for this new recipe and they were the perfect flavor boosts to take it from good to great. I cannot wait for you guys to try this Chicken Con Queso!
This One Pan Skillet Pollo Con Queso makes me feel like I’m eating at my favorite Mexican restaurant while in the comfort of my own home.
I realize it’s Thanksgiving week, but we can’t eat TURKEY all day every day! Change things up a bit with this easy one pot meal, and only have one pan to clean. It also makes for awesome leftovers, I’m actually eating some as we speak! Jealous?? Make this tonight!
If you’re in the mood for Mexican but this Chicken con Queso isn’t quite right, I’d love to recommend our Baked Chicken Tacos, Enchilada Stuffed Peppers, or Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos. Something for everyone.
I hope you take one look at this easy cheesy Chicken and Rice and head straight to the grocery store for the ingredients. You won’t regret it! This is one of our favorite Easy Mexican Meals. You can make it without the Chicken for an amazing side dish as well! Let me know how you like it.
See the recipe card below for full details on How to Make Chicken con Queso. Enjoy!
Chicken Con Queso
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts boneless/skinless and cut into cubes
- 1 ounce Taco Seasoning
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups instant white rice
- 1 cup Queso Blanco (White Queso) homemade or store bought, melted
- 1 cup salsa thin restaurant style salsa
- 1/4 fresh cilantro chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 can Green Chiles 4.5 ounce can, drained
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese shredded
- Heat the chicken cubes and olive oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with the taco seasoning, turning to make sure both sides are coated. Add in the 1 ½ tablespoons water to assist with coating all the chicken.
- Turn the chicken as you cook, about 6-8 minutes until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Place chicken on a plate and cover in foil to retain heat. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the heavy cream and white rice. Stir to combine. Add in the melted queso and salsa. Stir to fully combine. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and fluffy.
- Stir in cilantro, green chiles, and pico de gallo into the rice mixture.
- Add the chicken back to skillet and nestle into the rice.
- Cover with the 1 cup cheese.
- Place skillet under the broiler for approximately 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted on top. Garnish with more cilantro if desired.