Weeknight dinners don’t get much easier and tastier than a classic sloppy Joes! My turkey sloppy joes is a healthier option, made with simple ingredients and ready to serve in 30 minutes.
Made with just 5 ingredients, it all comes together in the skillet in minutes, perfect when you are short on time after a busy day!
Why you will love turkey sloppy joes!
- Quick: Ready to serve in 30 minutes, this is a great no hassle dinner option.
- Kid friendly: Kids of all ages love sloppy joes and this turkey version is no different!
- Healthy: Turkey is a great healthy alternative to beef. It’s lower in fat and calories but still high in protein.
How to make turkey sloppy joes
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Brown the turkey and onions in a skillet.
- Once cooked through mix in the sauces and seasonings.
- Let simmer to allow it to thicken.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Yes! This is super quick to make, but if you like you can make a bigger batch to enjoy later in the week. Let the turkey cool to room temperature and transfer to an airtight container.
It will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days and can be reheated on the stovetop.
Can you freeze it?
Again, yes! sloppy joes makes for a great freezer meal. Let it cool and place in ziplock bags or freezer safe containers. It will keep well for up to 3 months.
Thaw the turkey in the fridge overnight before reheating on the stovetop.
How do you serve sloppy joes?
I like to serve the turkey meat in my favorite rolls with a few zingy pickles. If you like, you can serve the meat by itself without the bread. Serve it with sides like Shoestring Fries or a fresh Chopped Salad.
- I have found that when cooking ground turkey, you won’t have much if any grease to drain. In fact I have noticed that when the liquid is all gone, your meat is generally fully cooked!
- I like to use a sesame seed buns, slightly toasted.
- Some people add sugar to the ketchup mixture, however I don’t feel that it is necessary, as it is already sweet enough with the ketchup.