Southwest Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos are a great way to make breakfast delicious and easy. These easy make ahead breakfast burritos are the perfect meal to take camping or freeze for busy mornings before school!
I have a confession to make. Pat and I spend SO MUCH MONEY on frozen breakfast sandwiches. I know, I know…please don’t all judge me at once. Neither of us are morning people, and sometimes the quick and easy Jimmy Dean Delights or Lean Cuisines are just too tempting. We go through them like nobody’s business. And…I’m ashamed. I have to start doing better about cooking for our busy mornings, and this recipe is just what I need. These SUPER SIMPLE Southwest Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos made my husband very happy, and me very proud!
I made 8 of these and froze them right before I went to Chicago for my most recent food conference, and they were gone before I came home. I only got to eat one of them!! I guess they were a hit for Pat’s commute to work. I can’t wait to make them again…and again, and again. The possibilities for filling are endless, and you can make them super healthy too! I think our morning routine has just changed.
I was inspired to create this recipe from one of my very very favorite blogs, Taste and Tell. I had the pleasure of meeting Deborah on our trip to San Diego, and she is just as creative and fabulous in person as you would imagine! Her site has been a favorite since before I even considered starting a blog…she has a recipe for every occasion. Her original post shows how easy Breakfast Burritos like this are to take camping with kids! Mental note…keep that in mind as our family hopefully grows in the future! Click HERE to see Deb’s original recipe for Campfire Style Breakfast Burritos…so fun!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 8 large flour or wheat tortillas
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen hashbrowns
- 4-5 ounces diced ham
- 4-5 ounces sausage crumbles, cooked
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 ounce (1/2 a packet) Cheesy Taco Seasoning (I like Old El Paso. You can also use regular taco seasoning)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Toppings: salsa or sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. When hot, add the hashbrowns and cook for 1 minute. Add the ham and sausage and stir until all are browned. It will take about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add the cheesy taco seasoning and cilantro. Stir to combine. Pour eggs over sausage and ham mixture and use a spatula to stir until eggs are cooked. Add the cheese and continue to stir for on more minute. Turn off the heat.
- Spread 1/8 of the egg mixture into the middle of the first tortilla. Fold tightly and then wrap with foil. Repeat with the other 8 tortillas.
- Place burritos in a freezer safe ziplock bag and seal. Freeze for up to two weeks. When ready to serve, you can heat on a grill pan until heated through, or microwave. If microwaving, heat on 30% for 1 minute and 30 seconds, and then on high for 1 minute 30 seconds. Microwaves vary so check after one minute if you think necessary.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!