This Beer Cheese Soup recipe is so delicious and made in just 15 minutes! This creamy comfort food is the perfect winter dinner recipe. If you love cheese and beer (what could be better?), this easy beer cheese soup is just for you.
- What’s in Beer Cheese Soup?
- Notes from the Test Kitchen
- Variations on Beer and Cheese Soup
- 15 Minute Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
- Email This Recipe
- Recommended Equipment
- Becky’s tips
- Nutrition Information
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Make Beer Cheese Soup Step by Step
- How to Store and Reheat
- More Cheese Recipes To Try
What’s in Beer Cheese Soup?
You had us at beer and cheese! Two of our favorite favorite things combined into one super easy soup. You won’t have to worry about what to cook for dinner when you can whip this up in a flash as soon as you get home from work.
- Butter + Flour: We use a roux for this soup, which creates that thick and creamy texture we love. Simmer it as long as you need to get your desired consistency.
- Onion: Use yellow onion, chopped finely.
- Vegetable Stock: You can substitute chicken stock if you prefer!
- Milk: Adds creaminess and richness to the soup. Make sure it’s room temperature.
- Salt + Pepper: Add to taste.
- Cheese: Sharp cheddar is ideal for this recipe because it’s intensely flavorful, and just balances well with the beer. Shredded cheese works best because it will melt quickly and evenly.
- Beer: We use a pale ale for this beer cheese soup recipe. It’s malty, hoppy, not too dark, and not too light. It adds a nice flavor and isn’t too bitter!
Notes from the Test Kitchen
- Cook the onions they are just until translucent– it only takes a few minutes.
- Serve the soup hot or keep it warm before serving for the best texture. It will begin to thicken up significantly as it cools.
Variations on Beer and Cheese Soup
This soup is delicious with any kind of cheddar cheese, or try pepper jack if you like spice. For the beer, a fruity wheat can be fun!
Email This Recipe
Enter your email and we’ll send the recipe directly to you!
We love a good (and easy) bread recipe to serve as a side for this beer cheese soup recipe. Some of our faves include this Homemade French Bread, our Beer Bread Muffins (the more beer the better, right?), or this Rosemary Bread. We’ve got you covered! We love to dip crusty bread in this cheesy soup. One of life’s simple pleasures.
How to Make Beer Cheese Soup Step by Step
Cook the Onion: Heat a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the 2 tablespoons of salted butter and allow it to melt. Cook 1 finely chopped onion in the butter until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Make the Soup Base: Stir in ⅓ cup of flour, 1¾ cups of vegetable stock, 1 cup of milk, and salt and pepper to taste, stirring to combine. Allow to simmer until thickened to your liking, about 8 minutes.
Add the Cheese and Beer: Add in 15 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 6 ounces of pale beer and stir to combine. The cheese should melt almost immediately. Cook to heat through about 2 more minutes.
Garnish and Serve: Serve immediately topped with crumbled feta. Serve with crusty bread.
How to Store and Reheat
You can store leftover beer cheese soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pot set over medium-low heat or in the microwave until warmed through. We do not recommend freezing this soup.
This soup shouldn’t taste overwhelmingly of beer. It should just enhance the flavor fo the cheese and add depth of flavor. If you find your soup tastes too strongly of beer, try using a lighter, less hoppy beer.
If you do not warm the milk to room temperature before adding it, it can curdle in the soup. We recommend ensuring everything is at room temperature for the best results.
Firstly, we recommend using a lower-hop beer. You can add a bit of sharp cheddar to help counteract any bitterness, or stir in a tablespoon of honey or cream.