Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies are so soft, chewy, and sweet! These perfectly baked cookies are easy to whip up with just four, yes, four inexpensive ingredients. This recipe might just be the best way to dress up a box of cake mix!
What’s in Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cake Mix
A box of cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and chocolate chips are all you need to make this easy cookie recipe! The result is a cookie that’s cakey while still being chewy, and so wonderfully soft in the middle. Plus, the way that the chocolate chips pair so well with the yellow cake flavor is a match made in heaven!
- Cake Mix: I’m using a standard yellow vanilla cake mix but any kind will work!
- Vegetable Oil: This adds the best richness and moisture to the cookies.
- Eggs: Also add richness and moisture, but they mainly help bind everything together.
- Chocolate Chips: I’m using dark chocolate chips, but feel free to use whatever kind of chocolate you prefer. Semi-sweet and/or milk chocolate chips both work fabulously!
Pro tip: For picture-perfect cookies, press a few chocolate chips into the top of each cookie before baking.
Variations to Try
There are SO many ways to customize these cookies! Here are a few fun ideas:
- Try a different flavor of cake mix, such as chocolate, funfetti, butter pecan, red velvet or strawberry!
- Change up the mix ins. Try sprinkles, chopped up candy pieces, M&Ms, flavored baking chips, toffee pieces, or chopped nuts.
- Sprinkle the cookies with a bit of coarse salt before baking for a salty-sweet cookie!
- Dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate!
- Make cookie sandwiches by filling 2 cookies with vanilla or chocolate frosting.
Nope! I like to use a hand mixer to speed along the process, but you can use a rubber spatula or whisk instead.
Nope! There’s need to chill the dough. In fact, there’s also no need to dirty up the stand mixer, and no need to measure out flour or sugar… It doesn’t get easier than this!
Yes! Use an equal amount of butter for the best results.
How to Store Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies
Store leftover cake mix chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
How to Freeze Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
Freeze cake mix chocolate chip cookies in a single layer on a lined baking sheet until solid, about 1-2 hours. Transfer to an airtight container or Ziplock bag to store for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying.
What to Serve with Cake Mix Cookies
Of course you can never go wrong with milk and cookies! For a dairy-free accompaniment, try dipping one of your cookies into a glass of homemade oat milk. You may be surprised to find out how creamy and delicious it is!
Just OK. Tasted more like cake instead a cookie.
I’m sorry to hear you weren’t a fan, Karen!