Rich and full of flavor, this chicken marsala recipe is worthy of any restaurant! Creamy with a hint of sweetness from the marsala wine, this Italian American chicken dish is perfect when you want to impress!
Easy Chicken Marsala Recipe
Fancy food doesn’t get much easier than this Italian chicken marsala, this is a serious dish that is a real crowd pleaser.
Perfectly creamy with umami flavors from the mushrooms and hints of smokey and sweet from the marsala wine and pancetta, this is a delicious dinner that’s not shy in the flavor department!
Why you’ll love this Chicken Marsala recipe:
- ONE PAN: All made in one skillet on the stovetop, even clean up is a breeze!
- PERFECT FOR COMPANY: This is, of course, a great family meal, but if you are hosting guests, the complex flavors make this a real winner!
- SO DELICIOUS: This dish is seriously good you guys! It’s hearty and comforting, creamy and rich.
How to make Chicken Marsala at Home
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Reduce the marsala wine, gelatin and shitake mushrooms.
- Cut the chicken breast into cutlets and season.
- Pass the marsala sauce through a sieve and bring to a boil and simmer.
- Dredge the chicken in flour.
- Cook the cutlets til browned and set aside.
- Cook the pancetta til crispy.
- Add in the mushrooms, cook and set aside.
- Soften the shallot and mix in the tomato paste and garlic.
- Add the marsala, sherry, lemon juice and herbs and simmer.
- Remove the cutlets to a serving plate.
- Whisk the butter into the sauce and add the mushroom pancetta mix.
- Taste, season and pour over the chicken to serve.
What is marsala?
Marsala is a fortified Italian wine that is often used in cooking or enjoyed as an aperitif. It comes in both dry and sweet varieties and dry is best to use for this chicken dish.
If you can’t get marsala wine, madeira is the best substitution, or you can use another fortified wine like port. In a pinch, you can use regular white wine, though it will loose some of it’s complexity.
Can you make this with chicken thighs?
You can make this chicken marsala with chicken thighs if you have them, though I much prefer the flavor and texture of breasts as they really let the delicious sauce be the star of the show. If you use thighs, they will take a few minutes longer to cook through.
What do you serve it with?
This chicken marsala recipe is great to serve over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes. I especially like to serve it with angel hair pasta. Serve with a veggie side dish too if you like, sauteed asparagus and roasted broccoli both work great.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
72+ Easy Chicken Recipes
See our Chicken Guide for ALL the best chicken recipes plus tips and tricks for juicy chicken every time.
- Cut the chicken breast into similar sized pieces and flatten them out to ensure they cook evenly and all the way through. Pounding them also helps to tenderize them.
- This recipe is best served as soon as it’s made, but you can make the marsala sauce and mushroom pancetta mix ahead of time.
- If you are gluten-free, be sure to check out my Gluten Free Chicken Marsala!
This chicken marsala is sure to impress! Simple to make, but the results are quite literally mouthwatering! I just know you are going to love this one!
More Italian Chicken Recipes we Love
- Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Florentine
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Italian Chicken Meatballs
- Chicken Alfredo Gnocchi Bake
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!