These chocolate chip banana bars are super easy to make and perfect to serve as a snack or dessert. All of the flavor of your favorite banana cake in bar form!
I love using bananas in baked goods! They keep them really moist and I love the natural flavor and sweetness. I can also trick myself into thinking I’m eating one of my daily portions of fruit!
Perfect to serve up as a mid afternoon snack or as a family dessert.
Why you will love these chocolate banana bars!
- Easy: It takes just 10 minutes to make the batter for these bars and then into the oven it goes!
- Fluffy and light: These cake bars rise wonderfully and aren’t at all heavy. They are very cake like!
- Perfect for a crowd: This recipe makes 12 squares, so it’s a perfect treat if you have guests.
How to make chocolate chip banana bars
Be sure to scroll down for the full recipe!
- Prep: Pre heat the oven and grease a baking pan.
- Combine: Beat together the butter sugar and eggs. Mix in the other wet ingredients. Stir in the dry ingredients and fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the pan, sprinkle chocolate chips on top and bake until cooked through.
Can you use underripe bananas?
It’s best to use ripe or overripe bananas in these bars. They will be much sweeter and more flavorful than underripe. They will also be easier to mash.
How long do they keep?
Once the cake is cooled and cut into bars, transfer to an airtight container. They will keep well at room temperature for up to 3 days and will keep for up to 7 days in the fridge. They make a great addition to daily lunchboxes!
Can you freeze them?
Yes! You can freeze these banana bars either in the dish, or wrap them individually and place in freezer bags. You can thaw them at room temperature or in the fridge.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- The more ripe your bananas are the sweeter and more banana flavored these bars will be.
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can add a tablespoon of lemon juice to ¾ cup of milk. The acid in the lemon juice ferments the milk and acts as a raising agent.
- Don’t over mix the batter, the dry ingredients should be just combined.
- Let the cake cool completely before cutting into bars.
More Easy Bar Recipes
- Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
- Strawberry Lemonade Sugar Cookie Bars
- Skinny Cranberry Bliss Bars Recipe
- Lemon Raspberry Bars Recipe