A slice of moist banana bread is never a bad idea, and when it’s chocolate flavored that’s even better! Super quick to prep, it comes out so perfectly and it’s one of my favorite treats!
There is never a bad time for banana bread, and it is hands down the best way to use up over ripe bananas!
- Why you will love this chocolate banana bread recipe!
- How to make chocolate banana bread
- Should you use ripe bananas for the bread?
- How long does it keep?
- Can you freeze it?
- More Chocolate Recipes
- Chocolate Lasagna Recipe
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- Black Magic Cake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- Email This Recipe
- Recommended Equipment
- Becky’s tips
- Nutrition Information
- See More Quick Breads
- Pecan Pie Pound Cake Recipe
- Brown Butter Banana Bread
- Glazed Lemon Cranberry Bread
- Caramel Cheesecake Stuffed Apple Bread
Why you will love this chocolate banana bread recipe!
- Quick to prep: It takes about 15 minutes to make the batter for this bread and then into the oven it goes – all you have to do is wait!
- Made for sharing: This is such a great baked good to make to share with family and friends during the holidays. It makes for a great homemade edible gift too!
- Perfectly chocolatey: Chocolate and bananas together just work. The results are a not to sweet but decadently rich loaf.
Email This Recipe
Enter your email and we’ll send the recipe directly to you!
How to make chocolate banana bread
- Sift together the fry ingredients.
- Mash the banana and combine with the melted butter.
- Mix in the sugar, egg, vanilla and sour cream.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
Should you use ripe bananas for the bread?
One million times yes, in fact the riper, or overripe, the better! Use bananas that have specks of brown or even nearly black. There is no such thing as a too ripe banana when it comes to bread.
The riper the banana, the more naturally sweetness it has. It also contains more antioxidants, so win win!
How long does it keep?
Once the bread loaf has cooled, place it in an air tight container. It will keep for up to 4 days. It will still be good to eat after that, but it will start to lose some of it’s moistness.
You can store the bread in the fridge and it will last a couple of days longer.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, banana bread freezes really well! You can freeze the whole loaf or individual slices. Wrap the loaf (or slices) securly in plastic wrap before placing in a freezer bag or safe container. It will stay fresh for up to 4 months.
Thaw frozen banana bread at room temperature. It will take about 30 minutes to an hour for slices to thaw and about 2 hours for a whole loaf.
- Use very ripe bananas for the richest and sweetest flavor.
- Bake the bread in a pre-heated oven so that it cooks evenly all the way through.
- Be careful to not over-bake your banana bread. It’s done when a tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.