Strawberry Basil Salsa with Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Chips is one of our favorite appetizers for Memorial Day! Or for Fourth of July, or Labor Day….really for any day! Delicious, fresh, easy, and light!
Summer calls for light and easy recipes, and this is no exception. Strawberry Basil Salsa combines some of my favorite flavors to create a unique and delicious appetizer! It’s perfect for pool parties, BBQs, or a simple picnic with your family or friends. Throw in some (EASY) homemade cinnamon sugar chips and you’ll really be the hit of any summer party. You’re welcome!!! :)
I never realized how simple it is to make your own tortilla chips. This was my first time baking flour tortillas into chip form, and I can’t wait to try other flavors. These baked cinnamon chips are made for fruit salsa, it’s a match made in heaven. I used large flour tortillas, but I can’t wait to try them using whole wheat or other types of healthier tortillas. If you try them, let me know! I would love to hear about your flavor combinations or how other types of tortillas turned out!
Have fun with this recipe and add in some of your favorite flavors! It would be delicious with onion, peaches, or even feta crumbles to the salsa. I hope you have all have a wonderful Memorial Day! Enjoy :)
- For the Chips:
- 3 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Olive Oil or Olive Oil Spray (my fave)
- For the Salsa:
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ tablespoon raspberry white balsamic reduction (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix together cinnamon and sugar and set aside. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Cut tortillas into triangles (you can stack them and cut them all at once!). Lay tortillas on baking sheet and lightly spray with olive oil.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mix over chips, flip, and repeat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crispy
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Add strawberries and mix until fully incorporated. Drizzle with balsamic reduction (optional).
- Serve with the cinnamon chips and enjoy!