Homemade Brownies, especially Homemade BROWNIES FROM SCRATCH just might be the ultimate chocolate dessert recipe. This BEST Homemade Brownies Recipe can make any day better, and satisfy any sweet tooth. I’m confident this EASY recipe will be the Best Homemade Brownies you will ever taste, and will stay in your family for generations to come. If you’ve wondered how to make brownies from scratch, this recipe is for you. They’re super dense, moist, rich, and perfect!
Homemade Brownies from Scratch (BEST EVER)
These Homemade Brownies are the most amazing fudgy brownies you will ever taste. Box Brownie Mix is fine, but these Homemade Brownies from Scratch will be the BEST BROWNIES you have ever tasted. Trust.
Homemade Brownies from Scratch can make any day better. I’m a big believer that everyone needs a killer brownie recipe for any and every occasion. If I had to choose one dessert to eat every single day, it would be amazing brownies. There’s just nothing better than a thick chewy brownie. I’m a huge chocolate lover, and there are simply never enough brownies!
I had always used Brownie mix and never given much thought to how to make brownies from scratch…but all that changed with this easy brownie recipe.
Sure you can make brownies from a box (and that’s honestly what I’ve always done), but once I got this recipe from my Mom, I’ve never looked back. THIS IS THE BEST BROWNIE RECIPE I’VE EVER TASTED! No shame in brownies from a box, but I have a feeling that once you learn how to make brownies from scratch, you won’t be going back to that either. Prepare yourselves to become Betty Crocker!!
Can you substitute eggs in Homemade Brownies?
Yes! If you prefer a lower cholesterol version, you can swap applesauce or bananas for the eggs. Simply use 1/3 cup applesauce as a swap for 1 egg. Another eggless baking recipe we love are our Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cookies!
How do I make these Brownies from Scratch more cakey? What about more chewy??
The amount of eggs are what makes a brownie recipe more cakey or more chewy. Less eggs = more chewy. I think the combo we have in these Brownies from Scratch is perfection, but you can play around with it and make it your own! One more egg will make things much fluffier.
If cake is more your thing, be sure to check out our favorite Brownie Cake!
How can I soften a hard Brownie?
If you accidentally leave a brownie out and it becomes too hard…DO NOT FRET! We don’t want a single brownie crumb to go to waste. Wrap the brownie in a moist paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. Does the trick.
How long do these Homemade Brownies from Scratch keep?
Brownies stored in an airtight container should be great for 3-5 days at room temperature. One great tip for keeping them extra moist is storing the brownies in an airtight container between layers of wax paper.
Tip for Making Homemade Brownies and keeping them fresh
When you store your brownies as explained above, slip a slice of bread into the top of the container before closing. The moisture from the bread should give your brownies a few extra days of soft, chewy perfection. If you noticing the bread getting stale, simply replace it. Done and done!
Best ways to serve Homemade Brownies from Scratch:
We always serve our brownies with either fresh whipped cream. If we are really in the mood for a treat, we will serve them warm topped with vanilla ice cream. And a little chocolate sauce for good measure. If you’re eating the best brownies ever, go all out. I think the best way to end any long day is with a glass or red wine and one of these best ever brownies. Or 3. Topped with ice cream. You get it.
This Homemade Brownies Recipe will make you feel like a Master Chef in your own kitchen.
These Homemade Brownies from scratch are super easy but you can keep that as our little secret. So grab a bowl, heat up one of these brownies for a few seconds, and top with some ice cream. Close your eyes, dig in, and enjoy. And then repeat tomorrow and the next night.
If you love chocolate as much as we do, these Brownies from Scratch are a MUST have recipe to learn and make again and again. Your family and your stomach will thank you.
Homemade Brownies are the ultimate chocolate dessert for each and every occasion.
I hope you love them as much as we do. They’ve become a staple in our household. When I was pregnant these were my biggest craving, along with ice cold Coca Cola. Henry was determined to make me gain as much weigh as possible. :)
Since I first wondered how to make brownies from scratch, I haven’t looked back. Why stop at this classic homemade recipe? Be sure to also check out our French Silk Pie Recipe, Best Lemon Bars Recipe, Truly Easy Angel Food Cake, and Key Lime Pie. Or peruse all of our Dessert Recipes. Enjoy!
Watch the VIDEO or see the recipe card below for full details on How to Make Brownies from Scratch. Enjoy!
Looking for more chocolate recipes? Here are some of our favorites!
- Chocolate Truffles
- Giant Chocolate Caramel Cookie
- Chocolate Spritz Cookies
- Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Croissants
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Pound Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bark
- Chocolate Toffee Crackers
Homemade Brownies From Scratch
Homemade Brownies, especially Homemade BROWNIES FROM SCRATCH just might be the ultimate chocolate dessert recipe. This BEST Homemade Brownies Recipe can make any day better, and satisfy any sweet tooth. I'm confident this EASY recipe will be the Best Homemade Brownies you will ever taste, and will stay in your family for generations to come. If you've wondered how to make Homemade Brownies, this recipe is for you. They're super dense, moist, rich, and perfect!
- 1¼ cups cake flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt optional, but adds a special touch
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate chopped fine
- 2¼ cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs large
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan or walnuts, chopped and toasted optional
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cover a 13x9-inch baking pan with two folded sheets of aluminum foil – the first sheet will go across one way and the second sheet should go the length of the over way and be perpendicular to the first sheet. Cut the foil long enough to hang over all edges by 3 inches. The foil will be used to lift the cooked brownies from the pan. Spray the foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- If using nuts, spread them evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until fragrant, 5-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk well.
- Melt butter in a large heatproof bowl. Add chopped chocolate and stir until completely smooth and incorporated. If necessary, gently heat the chocolate/butter mixture, on HIGH, in 10-second increments, until chocolate is melted. Stir often.
- When chocolate mixture is smooth, gradually whisk in the sugar. Add eggs, one-at-a-time until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla and whisk again.
- Add flour mixture in three additions. Fold gently with a rubber spatula after each addition, until batter is smooth and fully incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, spreading it into the corners and smoothing the surface. If using nuts, sprinkle them evenly over the batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer brownies to a cooling rack and cool to room temperature. Remove cooled brownies from the pan by lifting the foil overhang. Cut into 2-inch squares. Serve immediately or store, in an airtight container, at room temperature, up to 3 days.
*Note- these brownies are perfect, in my opinion. They are rich, dense, chewy, and the crackly top is terrific. Personally, I love them even more with the toasted pecans.